Roleplay Forums > Character Activities > Character Journals > The Lady Alchemist's Notebook
Mezereon

Character Info
Name: Mezereon
Alignment: CN
Race: Elven Deva
Class: Diviner
Silver: 0
My first entry in this notebook, pages still fresh and crisp from the bookbinder's shop. My heart is full of excitement, and my stomach feels as if there were a thousand butterflies darting about within. At long last I have arrived at the illustrious academy of Iria, far away from home. Mother shed tears before I left, and I know father misses me so. Edgar and Galvin put on brave faces as they were the elder siblings, but Calantha and Margaret had it the hardest. Before I left, Margie cried into my skirts and clung to me, begging me not to go. Seeing my family worry made it difficult, but I chose to stick with my decision. Wiping my sister's tears I whispered to her that I would not be gone for too long, and I would send everyone letters and gifts every year. Seeing my brothers so sullen, I pulled on their ears and teased them a little to make them feel better. If I am to become an alchemist, I must go where the people understand it the best–and that meant sailing across the Nyella Ocean to Parvpora. 

Mother once asked me why I didn't choose to study in Arri. The Rose Hip Academy was famous for its herbalists and healers. However I wished to learn beyond making potions and poultices, and magic could only take me so far. There was something fascinating about the art of alchemy that led me to become enraptured by it. The idea of changing a thing into something entirely different opened up a world of possibilities. It was only after my twelfth year that I learned transmutation was not as simple as I had initially thought. In the laws of alchemy, if you wish to obtain something you must give something of equal value. The same could be said of the world, in principle and theory. 

In these stone walls are the secrets of this science, and I intend to learn all that there is to know about it and perhaps more. May the moons smile upon me, and give me luck.

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."
Mezereon

Character Info
Oh how the months and weeks have passed! It is hard to believe my first entry in this was more than a year ago. So many things have happened then, far more than I can fit on the space of this page. I was never one to take delight in penning the daily frivolities of the week, so I will only write down the most important parts. My studies have been coming along well, and research has been fruitful. There are many great professors here, all passionate about the subjects they teach in the college. Although I do not intend to major in the field, I was required to take an introductory course in enchantment. Out of all of my teachers, my professor in basic alchemy is one of my favorites. She is small in stature, yet speaks with far more volume than the tall, lanky wizard who serves as the professor for the advanced alchemy classes. I had thought she was a halfling or a dwarf, though these assumptions were dispelled upon her self-introduction in the first lecture. She had came from Ataiyo when she was our age, and was some type of creature called an 'oni'. She had graduated as an alumni from this very college and was one of the leading researchers in archaeology. There was never a dull moment in her lectures, and she had something new to surprise us with each day. I heard she also taught other introductory classes in the arcane arts, and was well-known for her unusual tastes in many things.

One of my first practice attempts using an alchemical circle was to transmute a metal into another. A fairly simple exercise, though important in understanding its mechanics. I used lead as my sample, and received a lump of silver in return. I wonder if other metals aside from gold and silver yield similar results? The transmuted sample retains its general shape, but the same might not be true for reagents other than minerals. Distillation in comparison is less exciting, and there are times when the product produced is less than expected. I've taken heed of a tip my professor mentioned in lecture and have labelled all my powders and bottles before they run empty. Cross-contaminating things can easily throw off an entire reaction. I'll ask around if the laboratory apparatuses are available for student use outside of the designated class hours. I want to make sure I have all of my calculations perfectly right. Until then, I'll check out as many books as I can on alchemy from the college's library.

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."
Mezereon

Character Info
I am nearing the last few months of my studies here at Iria. A great deal has happened, with college events coming and going. It saddens me that one of my beloved teachers will no longer be teaching classes with laboratory sessions. I have not heard much on the incident, but it was due to an accident involving a summoning circle in a conjuration class. Somehow the procedure went awry, and there was a dreadfully large explosion. Thankfully the attendees participating were senior students, so they were protected from the blast by defensive barriers. The damage was not severe and easily remedied by a little reconstruction, although that hall will be closed until further notice. Since no one had been injured, she was still allowed to teach, but was prohibited from anything involving volatile chemicals or magical reagents. I am relieved that the college board has decided not to expel her and revoke her status as a professor, but even so being restricted to lecturing on theory must be difficult for a spirited person such as she.

After five years of extensive study, I will finally be returning home to Adeluna. Soon, I will be able to see mother and father again every day. Calantha and Margaret are growing up to be fine young ladies, and mother has been pushing Edgar and Galvin to attend matchmaking sessions. If the girls are being picked by mother, I can't expect things to end well. Unless they enjoy the outdoors and long periods of quiet, they'll find my brothers to be dreadfully boring. Edgar is a man of few words, and Galvin enjoys taking part in hunts far too much. In a few years, it'll be my turn and then my sisters'. As much as I loathe thinking about it, I'm sure I can convince father to talk to her. After all, I doubt many lords and gentlemen would be keen on having a wife who knows how to prepare twenty different types of poison. I've already made a list of souvenirs to bring back to my family once my graduation is complete. Margaret will love the pearl earrings I saw earlier today in the market. Perhaps I should see if I can bargain for a matching necklace too.

Mezereon

Character Info
Though it may seem an alchemist's work would conjure up images of long hours toiling away over bubbling vials and alembics in a dimly lit room, the truth couldn't be more different. Yes, there are times when one must keep a careful eye on the reactions and distillations in the laboratory, however not every single process is inherently volatile. My time is divided between periods of travel and personal study. For several months at a time, I travel across Canelux to the far reaches of the continent for minerals and animal parts for reagents. There are also occasions where the only place a certain plant grows is in one specific location, thus if I wish to procure a sample I must go retrieve it myself. It is dangerous work without a doubt, but I always take the necessary precautions and avoid travelling alone in areas that are too risky for it. It's a small price to pay for obtaining hartshorn, antlers, bezoar stones, and resin at reasonable offers. Those same items come at a premium in Adelunian markets, and their stock is always limited.

I've heard from my old professor that she's planning some kind of experiment with alchemy and magic circles. She was always a tenacious woman, and I knew being barred from accessing the mage college's laboratories wouldn't put a damper on her insatiable curiosity. However she's been rather tight-lipped about the particulars of what said experiment would entail, only stating that it would be 'the discovery of the century' that would 'bend the laws of nature itself'. I can't say that I am not somewhat concerned on what she plans to do, but knowing her it could be anything from something silly to something more serious. She's written me many letters in the past months, going into detail on her trip to the Virens Forest and her more recent visit to Sidhiel. It seems the area was recently discovered, after being assumed to be an inhabitable wasteland for centuries. Her accounts on the flora and geology of the place are incredible, and even sent me souvenirs. Though to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what she was thinking in sending me a jar of dirt. 

The rest of her presents looked more normal thankfully, and the carved pieces of howlite will make lovely additions to father's study. Seeing that I bear elven blood, in a way they could symbolize a re-connection to my family's roots. Though not entirely, as mother was from Endapano. I've never quite understood the distinction between high elves and other elves. Perhaps I could discuss this with my professor the next time I visit her in Parvpora.

Mezereon

Character Info
Ignius has arrived, and so has the rise in temperature. Working in my laboratory has become more difficult as opening the windows is not nearly enough to cool the place. By early afternoon the place is horribly stuffy, and I'll need to create a cooling system to prevent my greenhouse plants from being steamed alive. I've spent a few days combing the seaside for a few of those icicles I've heard so much about from the alchemist's gazette. They possess the curious property of staying eternally frozen regardless of the ambient temperature around them. This should be perfect for keeping everything inside at a constant temperature, with the right placement. Perhaps once I find a better replacement I'll try experimenting with the icicles in enchantment. 

I'm sure Professor Ryou has already started on her seasonal vacation period. Two of the things that she loves the most in the entire world are the arcane and enjoying life to its fullest. As a teacher she always told us to have a proper work-life balance. She never overworked herself, even before she had administrative limitations placed on her. I heard that she was considering a visit to Emiria or Bakulaw to study the magic and flora there. Both are incredibly dangerous, but that is what draws her to them. And with the change of the seasons, so comes the change in available reagents. Not many mages can boast being brave enough to sneak in during dragon mating season to capitalize on dragon scales. She isn't one to hoard though, mostly she gives it to the Mage Academy in Iria since she can't contribute to the experiments there anymore. 

Lately things have been uneventful and mother has been playing matchmaker again. Ignius is the time where the lords and ladies hold debutante balls and parties specially designed to both flaunt their financial security and advertise any children of marriageable age to potential suitors. Dreadfully boring, but my sisters look forward to them. Calantha and Margaret enjoy dressing up and the attention they receive, as they are in their element. Fortunately for my brothers they can avoid attending half of the time using hunting and other athletic pursuits as an excuse with other young men their age, who'd rather get some fresh air than walk about idly holding a glass of champagne and greeting people you only see once a year. Despite mother's urgency over having me married before I become an 'old maid', I see no reason to rush. Although my mother married my father when they were both young, she still looks half his age after all these years. With her elven blood in my veins, I am sure I can afford to remain single for a little longer. There aren't exactly many eligible bachelors in my field of study, let alone the kind that mother would allow me to bring back home. The typical age range is quite polarized, leaning towards the older end of the spectrum. And not many are interested in having a wife who has the educational background to scrutinize their work.

Mezereon

Character Info
It has been quite a while since I have written anything, and no wonder! This year has been full of strange and wondrous things which have left me little time to sit down and collect my thoughts. Ignius started out as blistering as ever, but a sudden cold snap swept through the continent and many went to find the cause. When it passed, things were settling down until a blood-borne malady struck some with an uncontrollable rage. It was then discovered that the root came from a strange apothecary who was selling what was later discovered to be the blood of the Reaper. My family and I had to evacuate and leave, but thanks to the efforts of Professor Ryou our homes were safe and sound upon our return. The gods have taken it upon themselves to shake the world, for reasons unknown and unfathomable. 

As the turbulence of Ignius cooled down to Venti, again the land was thrown into unrest. This time, the great desert of the northern lands was beset with phantoms and specters of ages past. An ancient city that had been lost to time arose from the dead, just like the undead that poured out from the central structure–a great pyramid of granite and sandstone. As much as my family begged me not to go, I went with my former teacher to assist those fighting their way to the top of that ancient place in a camp set up in the shadow of the risen citadel. Its name was Aysut, and long ago it had once been a thriving center of trade in a fertile land until a spiteful, cruel god cursed it. The other gods and goddesses joined forces to fight against the remnants of that ancient deity, and through much effort and hardship the people prevailed. The power that caused the dead to be bound to this world was broken, and the old god's curse was finally put to rest.

It was a hard fight, many lost their lives trying to protect the cities around the Harena from that old grudge of vengeance. But I have never seen such a great outpouring of kindness and solidarity from the northern kingdoms of Canelux. However, I am ashamed to say my own homeland of Adeluna did little to assist those suffering from the undead blight. Even Endapano had sent aid on a larger scale. It is true that geographically it would not be an immediate threat, but the other kingdoms will see that inaction and remember it. Now, my family and I must move yet again. Adeluna City has become stricken with a new kind of madness, where men becomes bloodthirsty beasts and possessed by an insatiable desire for food and drink. I worry for my mother's kin in Endapano, and the reports I have heard are no less concerning. For the time being, we will have to travel northeast to the Highlands. The major cities of Canelux have all been subjected to a great and terrible punishment by two deities, this time far worse than the blizzards in Ignius and the affliction of blood put together. I hope that this torment will end soon, for not only my family's sake, but for the entire continent.