Roleplay Forums > Parvpora > Ataiyo, Land of the Blue Sun > Kujishoku, the Spirit Realm > Sanity Optional [R/P]
Raize

Character Info
Name: Rhenakos Raize
Alignment: CN
Race: Human
Class: Berserker/Hunter
Silver: 1658
Rhenakos found himself lost in deep thought again as he wandered about the outskirts of Nisshoki and the Menomori Forest.  It had been a long time since he had been out this way, and far too many things had happened to recount in a single dwelling of thoughts.

He brought his hand up across his left eye.  He could feel the demonic thing pulsing, it's blood mingling with his own.  At this point he had grown accustomed to the burning sensation of the foreign blood as it rushed through his body. 

“Hm?”  He stopped, glancing around.  It had gotten strangely quiet.  The normal sounds of the forest had died down to almost nothing.  He felt a cold shift, and suddenly he was unsure of where he was.  There was a sudden burst of white from his crimson left eye as pain exploded through his skull.  A warning?

“It's called the Spirit Realm.  You'll find all kinds of things here….even your favorite…”

The crimson haired man turned to see her, idley lulling about.  She smiled, and waved.  “Demons, love.  It's demons.”

“Shut up,” Rhenakos snapped. 

She pouted and vanished, reappearing behind him, using his head as a rest, her body floating.  “That's mean.”

“Shove off…” the crimson hunter said with a growl.  He started to walk through the haze. 

Bite me.
Salene Coletta

Character Info
Name: Salene Coletta
Alignment: LN
Race: Half Elf, Half Rosenite
Class: Unknown
Silver: 213
A single strand of rope was tied to a strong boulder. After ensuring that the knot was tight and the rope was secure, a ten year old girl began to walk towards the fog. She knew fully well that she could end up in Kujishoku, The Spirit Realm. It didn't phase her. Her hand reached into her backpack and pulled out a small metal compass. The small arrow was pointing south. If she made sure she kept going south then all should be well. Rope had been used in many stories to help keep track of the direction that the hero headed. It was a good idea to use it now. Although there probably wasn't enough of it to be able to go too far. If she ran out of rope before heading back, Salene could always make markings on bamboos and trees instead.

Some villager near the forest was looking for a lost amulet that was precious to his family. He did not ask her to get it since she was a ten year old girl. But the villager was paying a fine price to get it back. That was why she was here. It was also a nice thing to do for the guy but doing nice acts didn't keep anybody warm during the snowy seasons. The girl continued forwards until she finally made it into the spirit realm. Her rope had almost run out.

She tied it to a bamboo stalk and made a marking on both the ground and the bamboo near it. The markings were undeniably clear and could not be mistaken. For each bamboo stalk she planned on doing a new icon. She also used her compass to make sure that she didn't go in any other direction. Otherwise Salene wouldn't know how to get back.

She continued onwards until she heard a sound in the distance. Jolting to a halt, Salene listened carefully. Was this a creature or a human? Her hand reached for her dagger as the girl stayed hidden behind the fog. Salene crouched down to the ground and crept closer until she could see that this person appeared human. Still, the stranger wasn't necessarily good. He also seemed to be talking to nobody.

"Hi."
Salene said out loud.

Sooner or later this guy would notice her. It was better to be sooner and have this over with than later and to be unprepared.

"What are you doing here?"
She asked. 

Raize

Character Info
Rhenakos froze. Instinct was telling him to draw his blade and attack whatever made the sound, consequences be damned. But he knew better than to do that, especially now.

“Losing your edge?” she whispered in his ear as he turned around. He did end up drawing his blade, pointing it into the mist as his crimson left eye burned, allowing him to see through the mist. The blade held steady for a moment, but upon realizing that it was both not a demon, and a child at that, he lowered the blade and let out a sigh.

“I should be asking that to you. What the hell is a runt like you doing out here?” Rhenakos said as he sheathed the blade.

“That’s not nice,” the voice said, pouting. “Are you going to run her through like you did me? Oh, I can’t wait. I bet it’ll be just as bad as-”

“I’m lost,” the crimson-eyed hunter replied. That statement was true on multiple accounts. He was both physically lost, and in a sense, mentally lost as well. Drake had told him to atone, but he hadn’t really known how best to do that. Atone for everything he had done wrong? Where to even begin?

“Now, now, Rhen,” she said as she floated just on the outskirts of his field of vision. “Don’t hurt yourself thinking too much. Just do what you always do. Find a demon. Sacrifice a pawn to kill the demon. It’s that simple. And I bet she’s a juicy little pawn.”

The hallucination wasn’t wrong. Demons were supposedly common in the Spirit Realm. But what once was a bloodlust for the hunt was now nothing more than a dull tug. He frowned.

“What about you? Why are you wandering the forests?”

Bite me.
Salene Coletta

Character Info
As soon as he drew his blade, Salene drew her own. Daggers were not as long as swords. But Salene was smaller. Harder to hit. Even with a sword. She could get close, stab, then get away as fast as possible. This strategy worked with both monsters and human like beings. Although there was a slight difference in the way it was done. Her eyes scanned Rhenakos for weaknesses or places that would be easiest to stab.

But, instead of attacking, he lowered his blade and sheathed it. Sheathing her own blade, Salene listened quietly to what Rhenakos was saying. Runt. Perhaps Salene was a bit of a runt. Building up strength was difficult when one hadn’t grown to her full size. This stranger was lost. Great. Why this moron didn’t at least attempt to find a way to get in AND out was a mystery to her. Of course the moron stranger asked her why she was here.

“Some fucking idiot at the village was dumb enough to lose his stupid amulet. I have to get it back for him now.” She said walking past him. Then she stopped. A sigh escaped her lips and she spun around to face Rhenakos.

“I can help you find the way out.” Salene explained, “But you’re going to have to wait until I’ve found the amulet. So you can stay here or you can follow me. Either way I don’t fucking care.”

Her eyes were glaring and yet there was a hidden intelligence behind them. Her face lacked sympathy for Rhenakos. But there was something more. Something she was dying to say.

“Let me guess.” She said slowly, “You were talking to a voice in your head earlier. A voice that only you can hear. It is probably a hallucination but you are too afraid to tell anyone. Most people would think that you are crazy. Is it a demon’s voice, the voice of a past enemy, or is it the voice of an innocent you slaughtered?”

Salene had seen him talking to somebody earlier. From what she heard, it was not a happy discussion. And she had met some people on the road who had voices in their heads. Salene couldn’t care less about the voices. If they had voices, then great. If they didn’t, woopidoo.

She didn’t have enough time to give a shit. But she did want to know if her assumptions were correct. Most of the time people described voices of demons, a past enemy, or an innocent slaughtered. It was hard to tell which with this guy. 

Raize

Character Info
Rhenakos kept his eyes on her. Both of them. The crimson left eye of his continued to burn in protest of its use, but he shrugged the pain off. It was starting to become a habit. Just another punishment.

The girl walked passed him, ranting and raving about a villager. Her use of profanity seemed almost comical. The mouth of a sailor on the body of a child. Her movements, though, reminded him of another young one he had met. That thief boy back in Hoja. What they lacked in wisdom and experience they more than well made up for in talent. If she wasn’t dangerous now, she definitely would be as she grew.

She paused, turning back around, commenting on his lost-ness. The demon hunter shrugged her bravado off, and crossed his arms. Had they met before her, Rhenakos might have tried to kill the kid on the spot.

“But why not?” she asked, hovering once more beside him. “She’s just a runt, like you said. I doubt she’ll be able to fight back. Especially if you use your new powers….” As she spoke, the pain in his left eye grew into a strange, almost longing ache.

“I’m not so lost as to need a runt like you to show me the way,” he replied dryly. Her next few words, though, made his right eye twitch. She had seen his madness earlier. He glared. Perhaps the hallucination was right. Maybe she did need to die….

“It’s not wise to ask strangers about their demons, little one,” Rhenakos said, his entire tone changing. The bloodlust was rising, almost to a breaking point. “If you’re not careful, those demons might just break through….”

As fast as it came on, the bloodlust subsided. Where the hunter should have felt rage, he instead felt a pit of nothing.

“Let’s just find this damn amulet. A kid shouldn’t be wandering in a place like this without some help….”

Bite me.
Salene Coletta

Character Info

Death was a familiar idea that had crossed Salene’s mind more than she could possibly count. It had not caught her, yet. But one day it would inevitably. Unless she was able to find a way to stop it. Perhaps that was why she did not fear this stranger and his threats. She was weary of him and needed to be cautious. However, Salene felt no fear from him. This was just another brute with a sword who wanted to murder people. She could see the bloodlust in his eyes. It was familiar to her to.

But the difference between him and somebody who was actually meant to be feared, was his mind. A person who seemed threatening at the beginning was not as scary as a predator. Predators called their prey into a warm embrace. Predators had little hesitation and got exactly what they wanted. Predators didn’t just want to kill. They wanted to use their prey in every way to their advantage. Waiting until the prey was at their most vulnerable, then attacking. But instead of killing, these predators would mold the minds and hearts of the prey to their will. Use up the prey until it was burned up by the fire of a predator’s greed, leaving nothing but dust behind.

Those were the people to fear. Those who lingered in the darkness and waited to capture some random orphan. Erase that orphan’s mind and replace it with nothing but a willing obedient slave. Salene pushed away these thoughts for later. It was unnecessary to think about that Beast right now. The little girl listened to the stranger talk about demons.

“I ask about demons so that I know about them. I can be prepared in case something happens.”
She responded simply.

Surprise appeared in her eyes when he offered to come with her. After that conversation, Salene was expecting the guy to just leave or to try to murder her. Suspicion lingered in her mind as she attempted to decipher what he was really after. Was he wanting the amulet too? But with a guy like him, it might be easier to get around in this area.

“Fine. I’ll let you come.” She said, “There are three types of fae we need to be weary of. First, the monster fae. These guys are usually large and beast like. They normally have some sort of special ability that is unique to them. For example, there have been records of fire beasts who’s fire can follow the enemy until it hits them. These types of monsters are rare since the fae consider them great pets. But we will know if they arrive since they attack strangers on sight. The next type of fae we have to be careful of is the trickster fae. These are the most dangerous type. They can cause illusions, promote certain feelings in a person, and are usually shapeshifters. It will be difficult to identify them on sight. Lastly, the serious fae. There’s a proper name for all these fae but I don’t give a shit. The serious fae are the fae who you have to show upmost respect to. Anything that can be taken as an insult will be. They have extreme amounts of power and usually are at the top. Don’t bother trying to fight them. While you’re here, don’t eat or drink anything. If you do, you might end up falling under their control. Don’t dance or play any music. Most importantly, do not trust any creature you come across. Even a rabbit or a mouse might be a fae in disguise.”

Salene had done her research before coming here. There wasn’t much record on fae since most encounters with them did not end with the mortal surviving. But there was enough to be able to understand how to get through dangerous areas like this without dying.

“And don’t try to grab any amulets until I have had the chance to confirm it is a real amulet.” She warned.

Her dagger was drawn for both fae and in case this guy decided to try to kill her. Salene continued onwards into the realm, marking bamboo trees as she went. 

Raize

Character Info
I’ll let you come, my ass. Rhenakos’ eye twitched again, but he held his tongue. He had to remember that the brat was young and stupid, and would probably grow out of it. Maybe. Either that, or die an early death.

“Now, now, my dearest Rhen,” the hallucination said with glee. “She could just have dumb luck like you.” The apparition vanished, cackling madly. She was becoming less and less like her old self. Soon, it would be nothing but torment, and Rhenakos knew he would have to find a way to rid himself of the guilt.

The runt’s rant about different types of fae was interesting, if not a reminder that he had dealt with some fae recently in Feeorin. The unlucky bastards that had decided to dance their woes away till collapse….lost in a haze of illusion…

Rhenakos shivered. The fae were not unlike demons in some sense. They each had their rules and regulations that drive their internal societies. But Rhenakos had the opinion that the fae were much worse. Demons were fair with their deals. The fae, on the other hand….

“Whatever you say, boss,” Rheankos replied with dry sarcasm as she finished her speech. If they ran into any of them, Rhenakos would dispose of them without hesitation. And if he couldn’t dispose of them, then at least he wouldn’t have to worry about the hallucination problem.

As the two proceeded forward through the Spirit Realm, he noted that the girl held her dagger at the ready. Rhenakos kept his blade sheathed, however, seeming unconcerned about any potential threat. If something came, he had more than a few tricks up his sleeve…one, quite literally.

Out of habit, he checked that Inima was still firmly locked to his wrist. A makeshift punch blade, hidden for emergencies. He hadn’t used it since the day he used it to kill her, but it was more coincidence than sentiment.

“Anything yet?” Rhenakos asked. “Say, runt…what’s your name again? Unless you prefer me calling you runt. I don’t really care which, to be honest…”

Bite me.
Salene Coletta

Character Info
Great. He was a sarcastic angry person. That was just what she needed. But it would be a good idea to keep him around. Looking at the weapons he held and the attitude he had, it was clear that he could handle problems that were thrown their way. At the very least, Salene would be able to use him as a distraction and get rid of the problem before any damage could be done. However, she didn't want to get into one of those situations in the first place.

Her curious mind wondered about this man. Why was he here? Who was the person that he had talked to earlier? Most importantly, why was he so willing to help her? None of these questions escaped her mouth. The stranger seemed furious already. There was no point in asking him these questions only to receive anger instead of answers. Her eyes scanned the bamboo forest as they continued onwards. If the amulet wasn't here then there was a chance that it was taken by a fae. 

"Not yet." Salene replied, "My name is Salene. What is your name? Unless you want me to start calling you old man." 

Testing fate was not a good idea. However, if he started to cause trouble she could always try to send him away. It would use up one of her spells but not having to fight him if he turned on her would be worth it. Suddenly the sound of rustling leaves could be heard up ahead. Drawing up her dagger in preparation, she calmly took a few steps forwards. If she could draw out the creature then she could understand what the being was. If it was a monster then she could use a spell or let the stranger handle it. If it was a trickster then she would have to be sly about it. 

"Something is up ahead. Be ready." Salene muttered to Rhenakos

He probably already knew that but just in case, the little girl gave him a warning. It would be unfair to assume. Three bright eyes could be seen hidden in the bamboo. Taking three steps backwards, Salene attempted to draw it out of the bamboo so that they could get a better look at it. 

Raize

Character Info
Rhenakos couldn’t tell if he liked the runt or not. She was almost as sarcastic and snappy as he was, and that was saying something. Then again, that attitude towards life had saved him more often than not by driving people away. He reflected on that thought for a moment. On the other side, it’s caused more fights than I can remember. He frowned at that thought. Perhaps he did need an attitude adjustment.

He would consider it in the future.

For now, the task at hand was to help with girl, Salene. Whether or not the hands of fate guided him here, or if it was coincidence, he figured he might as well do his part. Perhaps he had unknowingly wronged her in his mad pursuit.

“Rhenakos,” the hunter replied. “Call me old man, and we’ll have a pr-” His left eye started to burn more, a searing pain that caused his other eye to water. A warning. Useful. He silently drew his blade, his entire body on high alert. The pain in his left eye was oddly comforting. It kept him in check. A reminder, of sorts.

“Shh.” It was his only response to Salene. Sure, they had already been spotted, but speaking at this point was only at a detriment. Focus was what they needed. He double tapped a rune on his sword arm, preparing it for use. The demonic eye granted him magic, true, but the old habits he had were still ingrained in his mind.

Three. She’s small and quick. Baiting? Too slow. He glanced at her. Can she react fast enough? He threw caution to the wind, and as Salene took her final step back, he rushed forward, swinging his blade in a large arc, slashing the bamboo down. This would give them the opportunity to analyze what the enemy was. And Rhenakos knew he could survive whatever it was while they assessed the situation.

“Stay back,” Rhenakos said, preparing the reflective rune on his arm. Any magic that came his way would be bounced back. His backup plan involved the ring he held for shielding, but he knew better than to rely on it for too long.

Bite me.