Roleplay Forums > Canelux > Arri, The Desert Rose > Sularia > Changes [SOLO]
Nerine

Character Info
Name: Nerine
Alignment: TG
Race: Rosenite
Class: Herbalist/Scholar
Silver: 0
She had been in Sularia when it happened. Even though she witnessed the announcement in person she still couldn't believe her ears. The Red Queen, Lady Angela Rose was stepping down and one of her sons would become the next ruler of the Red Court. "Nerine…Nerine!" Hebe's voice snapped her out of it. "H-what?? Oh…" Her cousin sighed and took a seat next to her. "You've been staring off into the distance again. Are you alright?" With a nervous smile, she tried to act that way. "Yes, I am. It's just…surprise I suppose at Lady Angela's announcement." Celosia came in through the door in time to hear the tail end of her sentence and rolled her eyes. "Oh come on, you'll get over it. It's not like it's the end of the world. Sure, having a Red King presiding over the Red Court isn't something that's happened before but we'll manage." It seemed there was no point trying anymore–even Celosia wasn't half as concerned. "I know, I know…" 

"Things certainly will be interesting from now on, won't they? Prince Lucian hasn't undertaken the trials yet, but it's not like Lady Angela's leaving." Her dark-haired cousin Silene called from the kitchen. "It's no secret that you admire the Red Queen. Remember how you'd always go on and on about entering Auzial and following in her footsteps?" Nerine's face flushed pink from ear to ear. "Oh stop–Chrysanthe's visiting today!" She said in a loud whisper. She threw a glance at the door to check. Her daughter Chrysanthe was rarely at home, spending most of her time outside with Strelitzia or with her elder brother's pakpak. If she was in Arri, she would be in the outskirts of Sularia practicing her climbing and tracking skills. Unlike her sons, Chrys was cheerful and relaxed, reminding her of herself when she was her daughter's age. Though her daughter was far more active and certainly a great deal more outgoing. Her love for exploration meant she didn't stay in one place long, even more so with the discovery of Onnen. Each month she would send her family little trinkets and items she found during her travels along with a letter detailing her latest adventure. 

"So when are you planning to go to the new continent?" Hebe spoke up, interrupting her thoughts. "Soon, Shiloh said she was finishing up the adjustments to her airship within the month. She'll send word when it's done. Apparently the reason why so many airships were lost was due to something in the air causing problems in the machinery. The build up would result in an engine malfunction." When it came to technical terms, most of the time she found herself lost. The most she understood about such things ended at machine bellows and glassware. The trip would be short from Mamlak, but the thought of discovering new plants and animals had the scholar excited. Maybe she and Chrys could spend more time together.

"It's a pity that Sylvain might not be going." She mused. "But he does have his hands full handling Lys and Efrain. I really don't know what to do with my youngest. He's a quick learner for a boy his age, but his personality's somewhat difficult." Combing out the knots in her hair, Celosia sank into a chair. "The little one with the black hair and sulky face? Maybe you've been spoiling him. He barely sets foot out of his room unless it's for meals or something else. Why don't you have him go learn with his brother?" 

"I tried, but the instructor said he sat the whole time and said he wasn't interested. He was fine with a tutor, he's even asked for some of my medical books and requested a cast model of a skeleton for his birthday." Efrain was a puzzle. Unlike Lysandre and Chrysanthe who were fairly straightforward, Efrain was the exact opposite. He rarely spoke, had many things he didn't like, and had a tendency to say what he thought without consideration. Sylvain was appalled when the boy bluntly told someone at their first meeting to 'rest in pieces', and that was after his father had chastised him against voicing death threats to strangers. "And you're sure he doesn't take after his father?" Celosia said, her cousin giving her that look. "No, not at all I'm afraid. Sylvain's confirmed that he was more like Lys in his childhood. My husband still claims that Shiloh influenced him in the womb. It's silly. After all I rarely saw her while I was carrying Efrain." 

"Personality isn't inherited after all, though the circumstances before birth do have somewhat of an effect in most cases." Silene added. She threw a glance at Celosia, who didn't notice her older sister making subtle hints. Hebe stifled her laugh as a cough, and excused herself before Celosia caught on. "Everything will be fine," Silene reassured Nerine. "Everyone goes through a phase where they're searching for what they want to do. Efrain's likely already found what he wants at a younger age than his brother and sister. If he has an interest in something, let him pursue it. From what you've told us, he's happiest doing what he likes." 

Another day had passed. So much had happened, it would likely take a while before everyone in Arri settled down. Tomorrow she'd meet with Sylvain and they'd have some time to themselves. Their children were growing up so fast, it felt like they were tots only yesterday. The same was happening around her, with Shiloh and other people she knew. But just as Silene said, everything would be alright in the end. She shouldn't be worrying so much.

"Love all, trust few, and do wrong to none."