Archive Home > Archives > 2022 Archives > The Obscure Bastion > Just Go My Way [P/R]
Raine

Character Info
Name: Raine
Alignment: CG
Race: Rainbow Phoenix
Class: Avatar of Life and Love
Silver: 2642
“EXCUSE ME!!!” The small phoenix was running up a flight of stairs avoiding the crowds gathering to see Lady Angela. She began to stumble as she was forced to come to a complete stop a bit early. “WATCH OUT!” She yelled as she braced for impact as her feet slid a bit too much. She trip over the fountain’s basin not able to avoid it. Majestic rainbow wings came out of her back as she floated above the water. Prismatic eyes blinked a bit. “RIGHT! I can fly!” She hovered upside down for a moment as her hands were clutching onto her long braided pink hair.

She flew above the crowds and landed by the doors. “EXCUSE ME!” She huffed as she made her wings disappear. Now that she was within the temple she could go back to running full force. Her feet carried her fast as she made it into the throne room. “MY LADYYYYY~” She skidded to a stop as her cute little dress had time to finally have gravity effect it fully. “RAINE HERE!” She saluted her goddess.

Angela looked rather amused towards the youngest of the pair of rainbow phoenixes she kept. “You don’t need to be so formal Raine.”

“BUT THIS IS MY FIRST TIME! I’M ABOUT TO LEAVE THE TEMPLE!” She skipped and hopped up to the goddess. “THIS IS IMPORTANT!” She held her hands to her as she stared at her brother as he was perched near their goddess. “I DON’T WANT TO MESS UP!”

The noise made Arcus sigh and he readjusted facing away from the younger sibling. “I see! Well, it is good to be enthusiastic… Can you transform so I can tie this to you?”

“OH YES!” She took no time at all transforming into a phoenix of many colors. She landed on Angela’s waiting arm as she held out her leg. Angela deftly tied it to her.

“You are taking this to the Bastion. It is an important letter to Nemesis. You might not find him but there is another man there named Maalik that you should run into first.” Angela told her vivid instructions. “I’m going to open the portal for you since you’ve never been there alright?”

Raine let out an enthusiastic noise and soon she was well on her way through the Bastion. She let out a surprised noise as something tried to chomp on her. She hovered away from it and tilted her head and before long she was back on her mission. Soon she spotted the man who matched the last description that Angela had given her. THIS WAS IMPORTANT… Slow landing. SLOW LANDING. OH NO, SHE COULDN’T SLOW DOWN HER DIVE AT HIM.

“OH NO! GET OUT OF THE WAYYYY,” she had transformed back as she plummeted down towards him not able to stop herself. “OR CATCH ME PLEASE!” She shrieked as her pink hair flew everywhere.

“SORRY!” She popped up from her position on him. She was pretty sure she was sitting on him. “I’ve never done a landing before like that,” her cheeks her bright red as she stared at him. “Are you Maalik? I have a message for Lord Nemesis from Lady Angela.” She hadn’t even managed to get off of him but once she did she held up her leg where the letter was tied. “See?”

Once she took a moment to take everything in she paused her excited nature and rubbed her neck. "I'm Raine, one of Lady Angela's phoenixes."

Maalik

Character Info
Name: Maalik Volkov
Alignment: TN
Race: Shapeshifter
Class: Avatar of Darkness and Light
Silver: 639
It was another long day for the lord's avatar as he fulfilled his latest task in delivering some records to the head cathedral. Nemesis wasn't at the Bastion very often these days, preferring to venture around the world instead of being cooped up within the realm. It was hardly a bother for Maalik though in being left in charge- the place mostly ran itself with the gargoyles and the other nightly creatures fending off unwanted guests and if someone should come to see the lord, his charge could simply meet with them and inform his master of his audience.

He was causally walking down the beaten path back to the manor when he heard someone screaming from above him and turned to lift his head, seeing a young woman plummeting down. Despite her warning, he quickly figured that she would more likely hit the ground than crash into him, and with a long lunge of his leg, he adjusted himself so that he could could catch her. He waited patiently and braced himself when her full weight hit his arms. Sadly he wasn't the strongest being in the world and he fell backwards. "Didn't know it was raining girls today", he spoke. While many would consider it a jest, Maalik was more aloof than most.

"Yes, I am", he replied as he tilted his head. So she was sent by Lady Life, which meant the woman could be trusted, for now. After she so kindly got off of him, he plopped up enough to take the letter nonchalantly and tucked it into his coat. "The Lord will see it once he arrives, I will see to it." He pondered what contents were sealed with in, but for the time being, he would save that thought for later.

"Maalik Volkov, Avatar of Darkness and Fear"
, he returned in exchanging formalities. "I suppose it was good that you are a phoenix otherwise you might have gotten seriously hurt in your sky diving, Raine."

Raine

Character Info
Luckily even if he wasn’t the strongest she wasn’t the heaviest. However, the result was the same as they toppled onto the ground. “Only today… It’s a drizzle, the forecast doesn’t call for clouds~” Raine let the words out in a groan as she replied to him.

Getting the rope off of her leg she bounced around on her leg as it felt better. “Oh thank goodness… My lady ties those rather tightly…” She probably didn’t want to lose it and she stopped her movement to smile towards Maalik. “Oh! Good! I don’t know what’s in it. She didn’t tell me. I was much too excited about going outside for the first time,” she sounded so happy as she looked around the Bastion. “It’s so dark~”

She made a face as Maalik called her out on her skydive. She began to twirl a strand of her pink hair around her finger as she looked ashamed. “I’ve seen my brother do it a ton of times so I thought I could do it too… I didn’t think it took skill for a bird to stop the dive,” Her cheeks flushed a bit more red. “My lady only ever asks my brother to take letters for her and this the first time she asked me too. Brother hurt his wing so he is resting right now.”

Shyly she looked up at Maalik. “I could have gotten more hurt if you hadn’t caught me though~” She cooed softly towards him. “OH!” She pointed up at the top of the building. “SOMETHING TRIED TO TAKE A BITE OUT OF ME!” She shook her finger. “It startled me!” She finally calmed down enough as she looked around him. “I didn’t hurt you did I? I really do appreciate that you caught me!”

Raine seemed like a very bubbly girl who had very few interactions with the real world. Once she had stopped bouncing she got near Maalik and close to him to look over his features. “What are you anyway?” It sounded rude but it came out as innocent as she reached out and lifted up his hair lightly. “Is… it rude to touch people you don’t know? Arcus doesn’t ever let me talk to outsiders~”

Maalik

Character Info
“Yes, the area is to suit my lord and his aspects, much like how Angela’s suits her own.” The Bastion had its own unique beauty, not that there were many that appreciate it. Then again, that’s what it fed upon- their fears and uncomfortableness. “I’d imagine that’s the case- for all we know, it could be just about anything.” He did look puzzled at her when she confessed that she’s never been outside her lady’s temple. That was a strange concept for him to grasp but he let it pass. If he had been cooped up as she had, then he would have been driven mad. Maalik’s head tilted the other way before cupping his chin. “Skill or instinct? Perhaps both. It probably takes about a good dosage of both just as much as it does when it comes to flying for the first time. I can’t quite remember how long it took me because it was such a long time ago.”

His eyes momentarily lifted over to the house where he could see one of the gargoyles returning to its perch. “Yes, this place does a good job to protect itself, even when the master’s away. Now that you are in my company, it should leave you be.” He could tell by her attitude that she definitely belonged to Angela. It could have been seen as a bit refreshing or as a liability depending on how close to the sun she would continue to fly towards here. “And nothing else should come to chase, bite, claw or eat you, so fret not.” He finally got up onto his feet and dusted himself off. He felt fine aside from his side which he was sure would catch up in the morrow. “No, nothing broken, noting bleeding. I might be a little bit sore in the morning, but that’s beside the point.”

She seemed both innocent and naive; it showed in her mannerisms and how blunt she sounded when asking things. Had it been anyone else, they probably would have taken offense to it but Maalik was a curious one himself- a trait that followed from his favorite form. “I’m a shapeshifter- I take on many forms depending on the situation such as a raven or wolf. Also, most do find being touched by people they hardly know is rude. But it doesn’t bother me”, he shrugged.

Raine

Character Info
“Well, I think it’s nice. Not everything has to be bright and girly~” She offered a smile up to Maalik. “It’s different to me and I think that’s wonderful.” It didn’t appear as the girl had much fear to her, she got startled yes but it was more of the ‘what the hell was that’ variety. She had yet to find her bearings on what really frightened her since Arcus had sheltered his sister her whole life.

“Arcus always told me never to dive or do anything to hurt myself. I think he’s just a grumpy old stick in the mud,” she tossed her hair lightly. “Just because he’s like,” she pulled her hands up and counted on her fingertips. “He’s eight hundred years older than I am,” she put her hands on her hips. “He’s grumpy.”

She looked relieved as he told her nothing else would come after her. “Oh good, because I’m not great with my talons yet… Not that Arcus lets me try~” He had done nothing to prepare her for the world outside maybe because he hadn’t planned on her leaving at all.

“Oh, um,” Raine came up where he said he was hurt and put her hands. “I can do this though,” her hands glowed with soft prismatic light as healing magic flowed to him. “It’s the least I can do! The clerics taught me how to do it just in case I fell out of trees again. I was climbing the mahogany trees trying to spy on visitors when I slipped~ I busted my arm for a good week!” She cheerfully told him as she made sure his side was feeling better. “There!”

The phoenix seemed amazed at him as she took a step back. “SO! YOU CAN CHANGE INTO MULTIPLE ANIMALS?!” She came right back up to him as she touched him all over now that he said he was okay with it. “That is so cool. You are pretty cool,” she looked up at the tall man and smiled. Though she acted young it was her eyes that spoke that she was much older.

“I was being trained to fly out into the world when I was little when I first accidentally transformed,” she motioned to her body. “They decided to keep me safe in the temple and didn’t let me leave. I’m really excited I got to leave finally~” She took his arm and looked up. “Arcus never lets me talk to outsiders. He says it's dangerous and that they might steal me for my tears and feathers… but I can trust you! Lady Angela said so!”

She looked around and seemed curious. “Can… You show me around the Bastion? I’ve always wanted to see what another Temple looks like! I like Elysia compared to the Awakening Gardens a lot more. There are tropical trees, rivers, and sometimes I get to play with other birds… but the crows make fun of me. They think I’m too caged to play with them.” She frowned a bit. “I’m not caged… Arcus just doesn’t want anything happening to me.” Not that she ever got a choice in staying or going.

Maalik

Character Info
This one was an oddity, not that it bothered Maalik. In fact, most things didn’t actually ruffle his feathers unless one was to disrespect his master or the family. Much of it might have to do with this Arcus person, at least how she was describing him. “Yes, the Bastion has an allure that is also deadly for those not fully equipped to prepare for it.” He looked at Raine as she drew closer and he felt the healing magic radiate from her onto his injury. He’d figured it would make sense considering what she was that she could perform such feats and within moments, he felt alot more better. “…Thank you”, he offered, he was not accustomed to strangers doing things for free. In the world that he was brought up into, it was a lot more dog eat dog. He did note one thing in particular- the girl could talk for what seemed like in an endless breath.

“Yes, I can and more.” He didn’t tell her off as she continued to play around a bit with his hair- it hardly bothered him anyway. She seemed very impressionable and if he was a more wicked man than he was, he certainly could have taken advantage of it.

“Who is this Arcus? He seems to have quite the hold on you.” More like a collar as far as he was considered, but then again it wasn’t any of his business. Such protection that was given to her was certainly a double-edged sword. While she was safe from harm or those that would take advantage of her, she also didn’t seem to be knowledgable of the world as a whole. Only of Angela’s realm, which could be a dangerous thing on its own. “I see. It’s understandable, but it seems like you also hate it too. Such paranoia will only cause minds like those to crumble eventually. I have no need for your tears and feathers, and as your lady’s husband’s most trusted, I can assure you that such faith is in good hands.”

He supposed that he could let her see some of the Bastion at least- she had come all this way for her mission and he was heading back anyway. “Over there”, he pointed to the opposite direction of the path, “Is the Head Cathedral of my lordship. Many people travel from the ends of Revaliir to hear the word of the Head Priest and pay respects to Nemesis.”

He signaled for her to follow him on the path. “Never stray from this road or go into the woods. Shadow beasts and the like await for prey. We can’t…guarantee your safety should you choose to ignore.” After a while, the road opened up to a pair of large gates, which he easily opened for them and revealed the waiting gardens. “The courtyard as you see. It takes a bit to navigate through before we make it to the manor. The gargoyles up there guard these grounds.” From there, they would reach the doors that lead inside, and he pushed one open and let her in first before closing it behind him. “Normally guests would wait for his lordship or present tribute in gold or blood on the pedestal to gain his audience. Unfortunately, he isn’t here right now.” He showed her to the lavish foyer and circled around to the bar and fixed himself up some of the honey mead. While he wasn’t a huge drinker like the other inhabitants, it was one drink that he didn’t mind due to the excellent taste of it. “Among the Bastion is other buildings that have yet seen a purpose. I can only imagine that my master will eventually seek them out for some purpose yet seen.”

Raine

Character Info
“It’s no problem. It’s not often I get to help others~” It excited her and she thought of Maalik as a good friend already. Raine was super impressed with his ability to actually shapeshift. “Can you show me sometime?” She tilted her head at him.

She froze up a bit and rubbed her arm. “He’s my older brother. We’re the only two that made it from our parental pairing. Mama and Papa got captured on a retrieving mission a long time ago when I was just a hatchling. Ever since our siblings were dying off like crazy and not rebirthing Arcus has lost his trust. So, when I got human form Arcus forced me to stay in Elysia and not talk to anyone. I’m not allowed in human form often but I do it when I can. Lady Angela asked me if I wanted him to stop and she could make him… but…” She frowned a bit. “If it makes him happy would it be wrong for me to ask him to stop?”

It was completely selfless what she was doing. Despite Angela’s offer, she had told the goddess no because what hurt was Arcus doing to her? Sure, she didn’t have much freedom but she had a lot in Elysia and she didn’t know anything better. “Does… that mean we can be friends? I don’t have any friends that aren’t birds,” she shook her head and stared at him with her big prismatic eyes.

She took hold of his arm and looked around as they walked and he introduced her to different things. Raine was fairly good at studying things and knowing when to speak and when not to speak. It just looked like for the most part she was carefree. “It’s also as big as Lady Angela’s cathedral~”

Holding on tight to his arm she nodded. “Bad spooky things. Got it.” She looked around the gardens and finally settled her eyes on the gargoyles. “The chompies!” She properly nicknamed them before she looked at the pedestal. “So… does he drink blood? I’ve seen him with Lady Angela but I don’t know much about him.”

Once they were in the foyer she hopped up on a stool near the bar and began to poke at the bottle of mead and pick it up. “Is… this what they call alcohol? I’ve never had it. Arcus says that it makes people disorientated and people will take advantage of me if I try it.” She put it down. “I don’t think I believe him if I’m in the right company.”

She tilted her head. “Do… you think he would build a bird aviary so I can come play? We can play together in the trees and sky~” There was a sad look on her face for a moment before she beamed back. “I KNOW! I can have Lady Angela send me here all the time! I know how to open the portal here now! I can come see you and we can be friends! Arcus can’t get mad if he thinks it’s for a job!”

Raine seemed more bubbly and happy now that she thought she had a friend. “That’s okay, isn’t it?… If I come back and see you after this?”

Maalik

Character Info
He looked at it with a dimwitted look on his face before he slowly nodded. Raine surely was one that impressed easily, not that her situation hadn’t helped to take that into account. “I suppose so. I’d imagine due to the connection of our masters, you will be seeing me a lot more in the days to come.” He guessed he wasn’t too bothered by this, though her mood wasn’t one he was too accustomed too. He had seen remnants of it in Yelena, and especially Saffron and he wasn’t sure how the latter’s husband could stomach it as he was a polar opposite in just about every aspect from his wife’s.

“Sounds like a real charmer, your brother”, he spoke uncontestedly. Maalik could understand the logic of her brother- the world was a cruel place and many would find themselves dying far before their time. That said, he also knew that cowards were often the first to be preyed on. Trying to seclude from the rest of the world wasn’t healthy or beneficial to anyone other than those that took advantage of it. Those like his own master and like-minded ones. Raine probably couldn’t see the disadvantages set upon her, but he could, as clear as rain.

“Perhaps, perhaps not.” He gave a soft yawn and was able to catch it with his hand covering his mouth. “Gods forbid what would happen if your Lady should fall or if she was to pass into her own soul stream, however. If that happened, then Elysia will collapse like the other realms of fall deities and then what would he do? How will he provide a “stable” setting in a world of ordered chaos?” His tone was distant, but not cold at her. No, he spoke thoughtfully and blunt as always. “The world is dark, no doubt about it. There are also beauties that most take for granted and you have yet to see them.”

He was slightly taken back by her proposition but again, he took it all in stride. “If that’s what you wish, then we can be…friends.” He showed her around the realm and the manor where Nemesis resided, making certain to point out everything he could to sate Raine’s growing curiosity. She truly was a youngling in his eyes, of who lived several lifetimes. “Yes, Lord Nemesis can drink blood. He was a vampire for the longest time since I knew him. I was created by his mistress to serve him in another world and only the two of us made it through to Revaliir when that fated day came. Since then though, his lycan blood made it so that he can feed on food as if he was just another human, or more so, wolf. I was in the form of a raven up until he ascended and granted me this form and the surname for my loyalty.” It hadn’t dawned on him until they reached the gardens that she had him by the arm. He looked onto momentarily before letting it pass and continued onward.

Her reaction to the mead was to be expected, and the more she spoke of her brother’s habits, the more he was questioned how the hell did he serve Angela the way he was and the way the goddess often was. Then again, she and Nemesis were together and even he was stumbled on those inner workings. “Yes, it can if you drink it in excess. A glass or two won’t hurt you. Might be distasteful on the tongue at first, but it’s something mortals get used to, I suppose.”

He drank a little bit more of the mead, savoring it before he nearly spat it out. “A bird aviary?” If there was another connection between Raine and Angela was their ability to yearn for unneeded things at times. He certainly wasn’t one that played around- he was far too old for such a thing. But it seemed like she beat him to the punch, only to bounce back. It was a bit fascinating to see her teether between moods, that much was certain. “Do as you wish. Raine”, he shrugged before taking another sip. “I’m usually here these days anyway.”

There was an important lesson that she would learn eventually- that everything done in the dark would come to light. Her brother wouldn’t be fooled for too long and he doubted that he would approve of his sister’s company. Maalik himself, hardly cared whether he was approved or not.

Raine

Character Info
Raine knew that her brother was a jerk. He might have protected her and loved her but because he was stronger she always would have to abide by his rules. Thinking about what would happen to her if Angela fell made her tilt her head. The words that left her lips were serious for once, “He would probably throw me into the eternal flame so no one would have me. Returning me to the Soul-Stream too.” So, she did know that it was wrong. “He would deem it far better to kill me than to let me suffer in what he perceives as suffering.” Her prismatic eyes latched onto his. “I’ve noticed how he is and so has Lady Angela. He’s sent away on trips often for a reason but I know what would happen should she ultimately fall and there isn’t much I can do to stop it. He is my elder and stronger than I am and I have no one that would offer to stop him. No one but a few know I even exist it would be easy for him to make me disappear. Like the smoke from a blown-out candle.”

There was a gentle sigh from her as she looked around once more. “I don’t accept it but I won’t fight him on it. He’s my only family and Angela understands that. He’s died hundreds of times and it’s affected him. This is just the way it is. No one has time to worry about a phoenix who barely has an existence. I know that my goddess has a plan just in case something were to happen but I have never asked her about it… I’ve just always assumed she has a plan because she always does. She worries about all of us in her realm and she doesn’t move against my wishes out of respect for me as a person. Even if Arcus doesn’t let me be a person.”

She latched onto him a bit closer. “I’ll see the world eventually… I just have to keep being patient. The body and magic is weak but the mind is patient and hellbent on surviving. I’ve had a lot of time to think about these last few decades especially when he puts me in the stupid cage.” It was different when she was being serious, there was a tone that her voice held that sounded a lot more sure of everything. She wasn’t a fighter by any means but that didn’t mean she didn’t have dreams and ambitions. “But even I can tell that Lady Angela is on her last nerve about it even my words aren’t stopping her scoffing now. So, it’s only a matter of time… I think.”

Raine was far too nice for her own good and there were things she wasn’t naive about. Her own situation was something she was very well acquainted with and had known for a very long time. It was obvious she had spent a lot of time reflecting on it with Angela.

Once he accepted her proposition she seemed to bound back into the pure realm that she had been before the minute-long talk about her fate. “That would make me really happy!” She was sure that Angela could cover for her so she could sneak over and talk to Maalik about everything. “Oh! That sounds really, really neat.” In her head, she was envisioning a wolf with bat wings like the old vampire tales that Lady Angela let her read.

Too many times had she had a candle under a blanket with her as she read scary stories. Angela had found times in the middle of the night to check up on her by scaring her. There had even been a fire at one point before Angela made her use a lantern.

When Maalik noticed she had his arm she just gave him a big smile and squeezed it a bit more. He seemed like he was just as used to it as she was but she was thoroughly enjoying the company and attention. Once she had an understanding about mead she got a tiny glass of it herself and hesitantly took a sip. There was a blank look on her face for a moment as she clicked her tongue to the top of her mouth. “Mmmmm,” was all she said as she drank the rest of it down. “I LIKE IT!”

She must have taken him for a surprise by the bird aviary. “For friends. All of my friends are birds and now I have you,” she blinked a bit. She hadn’t ever really had contact with two-leggers before and even the clergy members hardly knew her when they helped her.

Once she had permission Raine was there nearly every day and some days she came at night. Clearly she was hiding from her brother as she found her way into Maalik’s room time after time. She would get in his bed and get right up against him as she asked him little questions here or there. She was gone by daybreak quick to conceal where she had run off to.

They did this on and off again for a month. Raine grew ever attached to Maalik and she would often start to test her luck when she knew she had to go back. Her yearning for freedom was becoming more apparent.

One particular day when she was following Maalik around the Bastion she put her arms behind her back and smiled up at him. “Tomorrow will be a lot of fun! I decided to ask Lady Angela if we could borrow all of her picnic stuff. I’ve never been on a picnic but I saw her children doing it and I think it looks fun! She told me she would have all of it ready tomorrow. I don’t know what kind of food she is making us though so that should be fun!” Hugging Maalik she kissed the side of his face. “You are my bestest friend Maalik and Lady Angela says the best way to show that is a kiss to the cheek!” She proceeded to hold onto him as she kissed it repeatedly and giggled towards him.

Finally, she bounded off of him like a deer and turned to him. “I have to go for today though. Brother had a short trip to Adeluna delivering a basket of wine so he’ll be back even earlier today than yesterday. I’ll see you tomorrow though!” She waved and left him there before she suddenly disappeared from the Bastion for weeks.

During this time Lady Angela was very silent even in the Bastion. Never did she ever answer how Raine was doing if asked. She didn’t meet Maalik’s eyes not once but it was on the final day of the third week that she finally showed up and spoke. “Maalik,” the goddess’s eyes were full of concern and she had been doing so very well to hide it. “It’s Raine, she was hurt. Arcus had locked her up in a cage because he found out that she has been sneaking out here from one of the clergy members by accident. It took me forever to find where he even stashed her but when I got her out he ripped at her wings and body. I just found her a couple of hours ago. I have Arcus shoved in a cage for some serious re-education but– Well come with me,” she offered her hand out to him before taking him to Elysia.

“He had her shoved in a small cage, too small so her legs had multiple fractures upon getting her back in this form. Her spine was a bit contorted but I managed to fix all of that.” She took him into the healing quarters of her temple. The jungle sounds as birds flew around and were gathered around one area. “They came to make sure she was alright. All of her little friends. They’ve been coming here for days trying to help me. It was the crows who finally found out where she was.”

Raine was laying on the bed all covered up. Her breathing was shallow and she had bandages all over her arms, legs, and her face had some salve on it. “He got her really good with his talons. She isn’t a fighter so her skin ripped easily. I must have reacted in seconds but that’s all it took for a seasoned bird like Arcus to do damage. I imagine he was attempting to actually get her heart. It would be the one way to actually kill her. The fact he thinks she is better dead than having freedom has always been an issue for me but Raine asked me not to do anything. However, he’s gone too far this time.”

She waved her hand and looked at the Avatar. “I need to go out for a few things to continue treating her wounds. I would use magic but I am scared of what it might do to her body if I try any more on her. Feel free to stay with her until I get back. I care not what you actually decide to do but she did tell me that she has been happiest being by your side so I figured having your face around for her to wake up to would be a good thing.”

It was clear the goddess felt guilt over letting it all go on too long and with those final words Angela left Maalik in the empty healing chambers with Raine and the bird friends she had always spoken so happily of. Even the crows looked sad as they perched on top of a changing panel.

Maalik

Character Info
“My master would have a large feast solely with him then.” Maalik would have left it as simple as that, but he supposed that she could use some clarification on the matter. “Nemesis feeds off on fear. The more someone is afraid, the more he can sate a seemingly endless hunger for a time. The actions of Arcus isn’t self-sacrificing or noble to even the most self-righteous. They are made out of paranoia, of a severe case.” He spoke of it with as much ease as if he was asking her about the weather. Emotions didn’t rule him, and it was by that account that he was an even greater asset to the God of Darkness. If her brother was as terrified about everything that wasn’t himself, his sister or his goddess, then it was also possible that he was at least, slightly unhinged. Raine’s follow-up only helped further his suspicions.

He was sure that Angela was also getting as frustrated with him as Raine was, and despite the docile demeanor she often portrayed, he had remembered seeing her in the other world. While not the same, this one was certainly one you didn’t want to cross.

But the conversation turned to a lighter note and it wasn’t at all something Maalik was used to. He supposes for the sake of self-research that exploring this would help him to understand what drove others to do things without a fine reason. He stood by and watched as she poured herself a glass and tasted the mead. After a bit, she took to it well and he finished his own. “I doubt that we have a need for one, but I’ll keep it in mind to ask him”, he spoke before pouring himself another glass full.

But what he wasn’t counting on was how much his new friend would be seeing him. While it was strange that she would find a way to visit every day, it was nothing compared to the first night she snuck into his room at night. Beneath his pillow, he had a dagger at the ready- a form of protection should someone unsavory manage to get into the manor. He nearly pulled it out before he recognized that it was the phoenix herself and rolled his eyes before rolling back to sleep. These habits continued for a good while and slowly he didn’t mind her presence, as much as it confused him.

He listened to her as he lead the way to the library, there was a particular book he wanted to see it. Combing through the shelves, he eventually found it on one that he could barely reach. Maalik did hear her mention a picnic and turned to face her. “I suppose we can do that in the afternoon after my work is finished.” But then she completely caught him off guard with the hug and the assault of kisses on his cheek. He was at a loss of words and looked at her strangely.

“Uh…and you are mine?” He turned and jumped up to finally grab that blasted book. Before he opened it though, he watched her start to run off and nodded at her when she had to retire earlier than expected. He waved back and sighed before he settled down and started to read the novel. He was prepared to read this now than later due to her likelihood of showing up that night.

Which never happened; nor did the picnic the following day. He had wondered what happened, but whenever he saw Angela and asked about her, she didn’t reply. He was fully prepared to hear that she was caught by her brother and wasn’t allowed out anymore. He had slowly accepted it as much as he had her presence in the first place and it was weeks before he was stopped and heard what happened by the goddess. A heavy sigh left his lips when he heard the news, “Of course he’d let his paranoia get this extreme.” The fool was clearly running off his emotions which lead to such haughty actions and he took Angela’s hand before they were in her realm. It was clearly a much different place than the Bastion, and he wasn’t sure if he would be able to make it in this environment but he followed her regardless. The more she explained the injuries Raine was given, the more his frown grew. This was taking it too far and had it been his master, the bird would have been put down long ago. But this wasn’t his master and it wasn’t his place to argue the simplest and most logical option. He could hear all the birds chiming in one location, the very ones that he had recalled Raine speaking off endlessly.

“She was too good-hearted for her own good.”, he said, expressing the slightest of annoyances. It was the most emotion he had showed to anyone outside of his master. When they ventured into the tent, he looked over her injuries and couldn’t believe that her own blood would have done this. He nodded at Angela just before she left and he sat at the side of the bed and looked at his friend, who was a shell of her former self. If only she would’ve had something done about her brother…

He wasn’t sure what he was supposed to do but came up with something after a few moments in thought. He conjured up the novel that he sought out on their last encounter and begun to read it out loud. Maalik wasn’t sure if she could actually hear him but he continued onward, word by word, page by page.