Archive Home > Archives > 2016 Archives > The Great Library > The Wheel of Knowledge (Temple Guide)
Chae

Character Info
Name: Chae
Alignment: CN
Race: Halfling Lich
Class: Scientist
Silver: 88
The Wheel of Knowledge
A guide to the Great Library and its resident goddess

This is not necessary reading, but will help in your dealings with Chae and her followers.

Guidelines:
1. No one will be prevented from entering the library under any pretense or in any fashion. Keep in mind, though, that Chae will know instantly that you have arrived and will punish those who offend her. While she does not consider death a punishment, I will be glad to bestow a creative little curse that can be broken with great effort.
2. I don't particularly like topic flags. I prefer that you leave the title of your thread clean and put whatever information you need within an OOC portion of your first post. The exception is the [R] tag, for obvious reasons.
3. I would love to discuss quests and character arcs through personal messaging. I consider it my job to help advance your story through the goddess's powers. That said, if you come to me without an idea of what you want, I reserve the right to affect your character in lasting ways which you may not have anticipated. I will do my best to inspire rather than inconvenience.

Domain:
There are ten spokes on the wheel of knowledge. Each represents an area of study that is inspired by the Arcane Heart. Other forms of magic and study are considered less pure, in part because they are connected to aspects of intuition, emotion, or spirituality. Illusion and psionic magic are considered affronts to the mind and are not tolerated within the Library.
- Necromancy - communication with and raising of undead, infliction of pain and disease, curses
- Summoning - interplanar perception and transport, portal magic, binding of extraplanar creatures
- Thaumaturgy - alteration magic, prestidigitation, manipulation of color, sound, smell, and sensation
- Energetics - shield creation, force magic, electric magic, arcane missiles and bolts
- Enchanting - arcane craft, rune magic, magical improvement of items, identification of arcane energy
- Alchemy - potion making, transmutation, chemistry, botany, identification of unknown substances
- Tinkering - gadgetry, golemancy, invention of simple machines, mending of such items
- Anatomy - biological processes of various races and species, comparative dissection, surgical techniques
- Arithmetic - analysis and manipulation of numbers, quantification of physical patterns, model building
- Linguistics - science of language and its various forms, evolutions, and cultural significance

Symbols of Power:
Owls
Hive insects
Wands
Books
The eyes
A ten-spoked wheel
Opals, especially black

Titles:
The Lich Queen
The Archmage
The Blue Witch
The Scientist
The Archivist

Clergy:
All those who follow their curiosity to unknown places, who pore over books late into the night, and who value learning and innovation above all else are calling on the power of the Arcane Heart to guide them. These are the wizards, the alchemists, the students, and the inventors who worship the goddess and serve her with the infinite amassment of their knowledge.
- Followers are free to come and go as they please, and may use her books, materials, and workshops at their discretion—as long as the proper gifts have been presented and accepted by the Archivist herself.
- Acolytes usually stay within the dormitories attached to the library and are pursuing specific experiments or fields of study under the Archmage’s guidance and inspiration.
- Avatars are specifically selected by Chae for their great minds and resume of research. Their formidable intelligence is the life force on which the Lich Queen feeds to sustain the Arcane Heart.

Quests:
There are some magical items and ideas that have been lost to time, hidden away from prying eyes, or even not yet discovered in this dimension. Chae enjoys her books and experiments too much to actually go out and find them herself, but she desires them nonetheless and has been known to send followers and passersby on great adventures to get them. If you are interested in a quest, PM me with a request (pun intended) and I will lead you with my Chae account through a series of challenges in the style of a dungeon master. Contributing ideas of your own is optional, but encouraged. I prefer to send player groups on quests rather than individuals.

Excuses

God Powers:
i. Perceives every word that has been written.
ii. Evokes intense moments of inspiration, especially in regard to magic and invention.
iii. Able to reverse the effects of psionic and illusion magic.