Archive Home > Archives > 2015 Archives > The Ivory Court > A sacred calling [p]
Nymeria

Character Info
Name: Nymeria
Alignment: LE
Race: Born of Flame
Class: Sorceress
Silver: 144
This world was wild, dangerous and venomous and so unknown to Rhylana that she knew she needed more protection than just one Phoenix could provide. She needed eyes and ears that would extend into the world, she needed Draven. Raven was not an option, and neither was cursing a human to be enslaved to her as he was to Dimitre…these were the thoughts that plagued Rhylana as she paced her conjuring room. There had to be a solution that was both viable and productive without wasting her powers, for she had yet to feed in this new world and it would hardly do to waste her skills frivolously.

It came to her, a familiar, she had not had one since she had been a child and it was an obvious need for the time being. The familiar would function as driven did, but with less back talk and random sexcapades throughout the temple. Rhylana set to casting her circle and immediately began to work on the intricate spell work. Summon a familiar was more complex than summoning a cake, or creating a portal. This took time, it took communing with her element and creating a safe setting for the element to choose her. It could take hours.

Rhylana sealed the door to the conjuring room, sitting in the midst of her circle, the portal to the planar realm open and the request out there- she needed a familiar, one that desired to stay with her on this realm for an untold amount of time. Her magic reached in, called to the powers and caressed the magicks allowing the element to fill her completely. There was so much to be done yet in this world, so much to accomplish and yet so little energy to do it. This Familiar would be able to go out with her power and assist her in finding souls to consume, a way to thrive here. Gain followers.

She chanted the incantation over and over, her eyes were closed in a trance as shellfire danced beneath her skin making her crackle like lightning had blessed her. Rhylana was a powerful sorcerer and would need a similarly powerful familiar, a familiar that would aide her and assist in the fullness of this world.

Ember

Character Info
Name: Ember
Alignment: TN
Race: Fire Elemental
Class: Fireweaver
Silver: 742

Fire elementals were forged from the embers in the bowels of the Fire Plane. There they danced with one another, their essences flickering and undulating against one another, until a sorcerer would call upon them. Then the flames would grow brighter and hotter as each essence fought against one another to claim the sorcerer. This particular essence had been through it before, several times. It had been claimed numerous sorcerers, building it's strength and power with each one. And when each sorcerer was vanquished, the essence was sucked back into the Fire Plane.

For over four hundred and fifty years, this was what the essence did. It was born, it served, it died, it returned to it's source, and it was then reborn again. Sometimes the fire essence stayed in the mortal realm for a couple hours or days, just to complete some task. In the beginning, this essence took small forms in the mortal realm… a firebird or a flamefox for example. But the more powerful the sorcerer got, and the more powerful the essence got, the bigger and more powerful the essence's mortal form became.

A call came forth. Every essence around could sense the immense power of the call. Pools of lava broiled angrily and flame engulfed everything, twisting and turning, vying against one another for the chance to bond with such a sorcerer. One essence would engulf another and absorb it, another would batter that essence back down and then consume it and all of it's power. There was a beautiful brutality to it. In the end, only one claimed victory.

Flame exploded through the opened portal with such a force that the portal instantly disintegrated afterwards. The fire swirled around the room and the summoner, licking up Rhylana's lightning etched skin to taste her power, her essence, her very being. It flared up excitedly, engulfing the goddess, and poured some of it's own power into the woman as it fed off her own essence in the ritual of binding. Sometimes a sorcerer was not strong enough to handle such a ritual, but this one was. At last, the fire came together in front of the Goddess, and in a flash of bright light it imploded upon itself, and formed a physical body which would please it's new master… a massive, flaming tigress.

The feline's fur was etched in continuous flame, fire that would burn anyone and anything that touched the tigress without permission. A deep purr rumbled in her throat as she looked at the Goddess with smoldering golden eyes.

“Master,” the tigress telepathically communicated, bowing her head respectfully. “I am bound to you for as long as you will have me - eternally if you so desire. What is your will?”

Such was the way with all elementals upon first summoning. They were robotic, devoid of emotion and personality. Such things did not develop until the elemental began to see the world they were born into and learned of it's ways, until they formed a connection with their master and could mold themselves to better read and serve their master's will.
Nymeria

Character Info
The power rushed over Rhylana with such force that it stole the breath from her lungs. An elemental had answered. The portal closed with vacuum force, leaving the raw force of fire to lick over her skin, to taste her and know her intimately. It was in this joining that Rhylana got to know this beast, to bond with it and to know that there had been the proper connection. She stood, looking as the fire moved and shaped itself into a tigress that would surely frighten any man or beast had it not been the lady of flame standing here. She smiled, petit fangs glinting on her lips, their first moment complete, the bonding so integrated that their minds had linked. Rhylana knelt down to the tigress, eyes meeting as she caressed the beast’s head. “Hello, “ she said softly, out loud, her mind racing with the rush of energy and magic in the room.

This beast was beautiful, stripes delicately accented by ever present flames. She smiled, a wicked sly smile that played upon her lips in such a way as to make her look so much younger than she was. “I shall named you Ember, for you smoulder and blaze as if ready to explode with life, pass, and destruction. You shall call me Mistress, for I am a woman and I would have it this way.” For now at least, the rest of their dynamic would have to follow in time, for she was uncertain how to best address this familiar, though surely she would be a grounding force when working with the element in question.

Rhylana rose with elegance and commanding authority, her back straight and hair long she looked the image of a walking statue “Come, I will introduce you to my lands, as surely you will be an interesting addition.” Her voice held power, command as she strode quickly from her conjuring room  and down the hall. The many offshoots of always through archways gave an open and airy feeling, calling one to pass freely from one side of the compound to the other without being inhibited, and issue this one surely would not have. “My private chambers are in the east of the temple. They are warded, though this should not plague you. My terrace over looks my private garden and I would deeply prefer you refrain from that area lest I summon you to me.”

Rhylana turned, the solarium int he center of her temple housing extensive orchids that she mindfully cultivated. “Ember. My son resides here with me, as well as Damon, a phoenix and a young priestess. These are trusted beings, my son is to be protected at all costs, in the event that he cannot be protected, you are to take him to…” she thought, “My father, the Lord of Shadows and Whispers. He will be able to help if for some reason I cannot.” That was decided, Ember was going to be nigh impossible to kill, and as such, the best option to keep Nikolai alive in the event that she could not keep him safe. There is a planar being there, Draven, you should deb able to feel him out if you cannot feel my father.”

Business being taken care of, she lead the tigress out into the main gardens to show her the expansive nature of these lands. “Big cats come to me, you included, these lands are as much yours as they are mine. I ask that once every three nights you bring me a being to fuel my innate power.” This being had bonded with her, so surely she knew that there was more to Rhylana than met the eye, humanity was hardly all it was said to be, she preferred her new being, her new power. “Should you fail, my power will lash out, you do not want that.” her tone was severe as a large white liger came to her hand, head butting her palm for long neglected affections.

Ember

Character Info

Ember. The feline bowed her head in acknowledgment and acceptance of the name her mistress gave to her. Elementals had no names in their elemental plane, they had no need for them. But it was not uncommon for their summoners to name them, particularly when bound to a sorcerer and intended to remain a part of the mortal realms for any length of time. Ember had been bound to several sorcerers in the past, and as a result had taken many forms, had been both genders and genderless, and had been given numerous names – Xiuhcoatl(genderless fire serpent), Cinder(a female fire bird), Vahni(a female fire fox), Blaze(a male flame wolf), Vulcan(male fire demonoid), and now Ember.
The flame feline obeyed the command without question or hesitation, following her new Mistress out of the conjuring room. She was a massive cat. Her back, when standing, was up to the Goddess's naval. Beneath the flame and fur, her skin was taught over the firm and well defined muscle of a fit form. She was a creature of great beauty and terrible power. And she was Rhylana's.
Ember listened, silently, to all that her mistress commanded, committing it all to memory so that she could best serve her. It was an elemental's job to be able to read and understand her Mistress, to move and do as her Mistress would want without even needing a word. And with the power that her Mistress had… Ember refused to fail, she refused to return to the Fire Plane where she would have to settle for accepting the summons of lesser beings.
“I will protect all those you cherish,” Ember's mental voice reached out to Rhylana, and Rhylana alone. “Your well-being is my own. If you should cease to exist, then so too do I. When you feel pain, I do as well.” Rhylana came above all else, then those closest to Rhylana's heart for Ember would protect her Mistress from mental and emotional pain. She had no care or concern for anyone else. “Any seek to harm you, or those you hold in your heart, will know horrible fear and terrible, blistering agony.”
The felines eyes had darkened from gold to red and seemed to smolder brighter, making Rhylana's name for her all the more fitting. Her mental voice, which resembled a soft burn, sparked and flared when she spoke of the fate that awaited those who meant Rhylana harm. Ember was a powerful elemental on her own, but with her connection to Rhylana her power was thricefold. If this was Ember's controlled anger, her rage would be an inferno.
When the white liger appeared a predatory and territorial growl instinctively began to form in Ember's throat, fueled by their earlier topic. But the fires were quickly quenched and the Tigress returned to her normal appearance. She watched as Rhylana gave the other feline affection. It was something that Ember had not experienced or seen often in all her past incarnations. It was strange and it was fascinating to her.
“Can I meet your son?” Ember asked, her mental voice once again a gentle simmer. She wanted to know the most important person in Rhylana's life. She wanted to see, smell, hear, taste, and feel the boy, almost like she had to his mother(though not to that extreme), so that she could always sense where he was at and appear by his side at a moment's notice.
Nymeria

Character Info
Ember was a creature of terrible beauty and power, in many ways she mirrored her mistress in this capacity, they would be a hell of a duo if it ever came to blows. “There is a man, who bears much a resemblance to me, his power is darkness and whispers. There may come a day when he decides to test me when he decides that I must earn my right to this throne. Should this come, and such blows are exchanged, join me in battle. Though know your limitations. for he can de-spell you.” She was sincere in this as she walked, daring to pet the impressive beast. “This Liger is a blend of tiger and lion, his name is Shivara, and he chose me when we moved here.”

As the Elemental agreed to her terms but asked instead for an introduction to her son, she blinked. She supposed it would be needed, and in turn she guided the Tiger down the main corridor of her temple to a large set of double doors inscribed with an ornate carved and imbued flame. It glittered, the large white marble doors only opening once she placed her hand to the carving. The marble doors swung open to reveal a corridor that had several proper doors, as well as a number of archways. “This is my private wing, my son is in the room next to mine until such a time as he wishes a larger room.” She said leading the tigress down the all, she paused at the entrance to her private gardens, “Here is my private garden, I spend a good deal of my down time here if I am not with Nikolai.” she said gently, walking to Nikolai’s room. The room a the end of the hall as hers, and boosted much the same sigil as the entrance to this wing.

The elder opened the door, the room looked as if stars dappled the walls, and in it was a young boy with dark hair napping in his bed. It was a four poster bed, and tears gleamed on his cheeks. The boy missed his father and was still quite young, despite doing well, he was still coping with all the loss. “He rests,” she whispered, “He naps daily, and is coping with a great deal of loss.” She closed the door slowly as Nikolai rolled over in his sleep. “If anything happens to him, I will salt the earth beneath the remains of the offender.” Her voice was calm, but inside, the fire pricked and pulled, she looking to the tigress.

“Will you require your own quarters, or would you prefer to lay with me, or my son?” She would prefer if the tigress laid with her so Damon could keep watch on her son. While the compound was covered in wards and spells to protect the inhabitants of this sacred space, nothing was more important to her than her children. She prayed, deeply, that Brynn would be found, pleading and near negotiating with the world tree. “Our world is young, Ember, and we are not all as we should be. Never attack first, study…” she said sternly, “My blood, and you will smell my blood in others, is off limits to attacks unless they unleash their power on me first.”

Rhylana sat in the hallway, knowing Nikolai would wake soon. “Talk to me Ember, let me know what concerns you have and what you envision for your life with me. I know you want me pleased, but I need to know how we can best work together.” Rhylana liked to have the bonds cemented, to have them far reaching into their relationship. Nikolai had indeed woken, coming from the dark confines and stretching. He looked like his mother, though something was there, something else that gave him slightly tanner flesh and brighter eyes filled with innocence. “Mama…” he said looking tot he tiger fearfully.

Ember

Character Info
Talk of this dark man of whispers caused the fire of Ember's fur to intensify.  The very thought of someone intending harm upon her Mistress fueled the burning tempest of rage, for Ember's fate was tied intimately with Rhylana's.  But the fires quickly simmered when she realized the complexity of the relationship her Mistress had with this man, her father.

"You love him," Ember's telepathic voice spoke out.  It was not a question, but an observation.  "You love him, and you trust him, or you would not have me bring your most cherished jewel to him if ever a time came.  And yet, you fear him?  Clearly, he is powerful, and like you is a force to be reckoned with.  But my duty is to you, Sweet Lady of the Flame.  If the time should come, I will set his darkness ablaze with your destructive fires.  I know no fear."

That wasn't entirely true.  The only fear that Ember had ever felt in any of her past incarnations was the fear that her Mistress or Master would die… or worse yet, that they would abandon her and send her back to the elemental plane from whence she came.  The more powerful the sorcerer, the more intense and deeper the fear of the latter.  Disappointment and rejection from her summoner… she'd felt it once, and never wanted to feel it again.  "I would die before I would let any harm befall you," Ember vowed.

Ember dutifully followed and listened to Rhylana, padding quietly beside her as she was shown the deeper, more private chambers of the temple.  When her amber hued eyes fell upon the sleeping child, tears drying on a face that resembled, in part, her mistress, a new feeling presented itself in the elemental.  Ember glanced up at Rhylana, then dimmed the brightness of her flaming fur so that it was naught but a faint warm glow, and she very quietly padded closer to the bed where the child was sleeping to get a closer look.  Sleeping, he had the face of an angel… calm, serene, unburdened…. but it was easy to see the pain and torment lurking just beneath the surface.  Ember almost wanted to crawl up into the bed and wrap herself around the tiny Lord.  Little humans wore their hearts on their sleeves, they were unabashed with expressing their true selves… unlike adult humans.

Though Rhylana spoke softly and calmly, Ember could hear the threat of an inferno in her voice.  Ember turned back and followed Rhylana out of the room so Nikolai could find peace in slumber for longer.  Rhylana, unlike her son, was clearly very astute with hiding her thoughts and emotions… but Ember knew they were there.  Of course, Rhylana did not have the luxury of indulging her grief, pain, despair, or fear.  She had so many responsibilities, and she had far too much to lose.  Having and maintaining such power came at a heavy price that many did not understand.

"No, I would prefer to be with you," Ember's mind reached out to her Goddess.  And then, without thought, acting on some unknown and internal emotion and instinct, Ember circled and rubbed against Rhylana… an act of affection, indeed, but also one to strengthen their bond… she wanted Rhylana's scent on her, and the spark of power that coursed between them when they came in contact was near orgasmic.  She purred and nudged Rhylana's hand with her nose.  "Always with you, my Mistress… unless you send me elsewhere, I will remain by your side."

The flame tigress blinked, almost confused when Rhylana asked what she wanted.  "I…" she paused.  She was about to say that she lived to serve her Mistress… but Rhylana already knew that.  And Ember knew that Rhylana wanted more.  On the surface, and even in the deepest layers of an elemental, they did live to serve.

"Elementals have no shape, we have no purpose, we have no personality in the beginning," Ember began to slowly explain, trying to choose her words with care to properly convey what she wanted.  "But with each summoning, the worlds in which we are summoned to, the beings in those worlds, and most importantly the one who summoned us… they all leave their mark.  Each time we are summoned and bound to a new master or mistress, it is like we are being reborn.  In the beginning, we truly are reborn anew.  We forget the past, and we live to serve.  But, over time, as we age and as we increase in power, we remember fragments."

Ember sat next to Rhylana, though on the floor, and she settled her head upon Rhylana's knee.  "Never before has a summoner asked me what you have, satisfied only with unwavering loyalty and service."  She grew silent again, thinking…. digging deeper into herself to find not the answers that every elemental knew their summoner would want, but to find the answers to the questions that Rhylana was asking.

"It is not my place to question or tell my master or mistress what to do," Ember started a defense for the abuse that a previous master had done.  "And I'm sure he had his reasons…  It is not uncommon for our summoners to drain power from us when their own reserves are weakened, and then send us back to the elemental plane to absorb more power… but my last summoner did that frequently.  He would drain me to the point of near death, and send me back to the elemental plane where I would have to kill and absorb the powers of other elementals.  And he would summon me again, only to do the same.  And again.  And again.  And when the time came for me to fight, I had not recharged fully.  I could not protect him, and he was killed."

Ember turned her head down in shame at her failure.  Clearly, despite the abuse(and there was far more than what she had revealed), she had loved her master.  But, such was the life of an elemental.  They loved and put their master and mistress above all else, including themselves.  But, in the end, with every master and every mistress, elementals were nothing more than a slave.  They were lucky if they were considered pets.  They were always on the outside, looking in, doing whatever they could to please their summoner in the hopes that this time would be different… maybe… just maybe they will have found an actual place, love, and a family.

Nikolai had toddled out, and gave Ember a wary look.  The tigress, much taller than the boy, even when sitting, stretched out to lay on the floor so that she was at eye level with him.  She did not go towards him, not wanting to frighten him, but merely laid down on her belly and gave him the choice to approach her when he wanted.  It took a little while, but slowly Nikolai approached her when he realized that she was nothing he needed to fear.  His little fingers brushed through her fur, but her fires did not burn him.  Soon enough, he was climbing atop her, tugging on her ears.  He laughed with delight when she rolled over onto her back and wrapped a paw around him to bring him to her chest and licked his cheek.

Family…