Archive Home > Archives > 2015 Archives > The Ivory Court > A belated thanks
Pyzis

Character Info
Name: Pyzis
Alignment: LG
Race: Phoenix
Class: Fire elementalist
Silver: 3271
  Pyzis had never sought to thank the one who was pretty much credited for her being. It was hard for her to understand the ways of the Gods and Goddesses. She could hardly come to terms with the fact that she was a being created by and consumed by fire in the first place. Since she had been held captive for so many years she had had a lot of time to think, one very recurring thought was to thank her Goddess for her freedom once she was given it. There had been times of desperation where Pyzis didn't want to wait until her master died before she could spread her wings and feel the wind in her feathers. This times she had sent up a tiny plea to whoever could be listening that freedom would come faster. It hadn't happened any faster but she had felt a little more sane after she had prayed to the Goddess of fire. Now here she was, standing on the steps out front of her newfound patrons immense temple. 
  The entire thing was aglow in flames, huge carved marble pillars that seemed alive in the warm yellow light. She took a tentative step forward, still wondering if this was such a great plan. She had gone through a few life cycles now, none of them as long as the last and during none of them did she feel the need to worship. Maybe it was fear that now that she had acknowledged her Deity that if she didn't offer thanks she would be smitten. Though Pyzis was pretty sure it was the fact that she was alive and still sane that she was here. Forty years without a voice, forty years imprisoned in a gilded cage, forty years in her Phoenix form. 
  Taking a deep breath Pyzis stepped into the vast entrance, the warmth of the place took her by surprise. Usually marble leeched the heat from a place but she was very comfortable. She passed by the lounges braziers, knowing that there was a garden beyond. After not being able to see the night sky for so long Pyzis felt a little trapped indoors anymore. When she did reach the gardens she took a deep breath, the sound of bubbling water soothing her nervousness. Suddenly she felt more at ease than she had ever in her lifetime, this was a place healing, a blame to the raw wound of her captivity. She threw her head back an gazed up at the night sky above her, black ink dotted with silvery stars. Her long dark hair cascaded down her back and she sank down into the plush grass beneath her, reveling in the texture of it against her skin. Here is where she would wait to thank the Goddess that kept her from going mad, here is where she would find a  new purpose in life.

Nymeria

Character Info
Name: Nymeria
Alignment: LE
Race: Born of Flame
Class: Sorceress
Silver: 144
Prayers, it was something that Rhylana was still adapting to, but the cries of the beings that were so intimately connected to her were enough to draw the goddess from her reverie. Phoenixes were a special creature to Rhylana, they held a place in her heart that would never be fully understandable to anyone else, for they were intimately tied to her own life force, and in a way, she mimicked their existence. Twice Rhylana had died, and yet she rose again and to move on to better more powerful things. She was proud. It was in this spirit that when she felt a stir within the compound, she smiled, setting the fork down next to her plate and rising in one fluid movement to go to the gardens.

Servants would have brought hot tea and light refreshments to the visitor, allowing her to rest and heal whatever she needed to in comfort. Rhylana descended the stairs, seeming to glide with each step toward the expansive pool. The woman had dressed in black, per usual, the black velvet hugging her form and white lace accenting the neck, hem and belled sleeves. Long raven hair loose to her hips as she smirked, seeing the white cats milling around the parameter of the compound, suspicious of the new bird, for they already had one in this temple, why was there another?

Rhylana let her power wash out through the temple grounds, smiling, seeing the seemingly young being waiting for her, seeming so lost. “You come to me, looking as if I should smite you into the very ground upon which you stand.” Her voice carried on the air, reaching the guest before she reached her. Rhylana’s eyes were mismatched, one blue, one green both filled with the sacred fire she held within her.

The young goddess sat upon a stone and satin settee by the pool, she patting the space beside her. “Come, tell me what brings you to these sacred lands, for surely the journey was not simple, you shake as if a newborn lamb brought to the slaughter.” She had not been in this land long enough to bring about such a reputation though clearly this young bird had been put through a good deal. She had recalled the feel of her power, the cries of her desperation for freedom. It had made the Goddess cross, but she had lent her strength to the girl, hoping to assist her in bearing the weight of the situation.

It seemed to have worked.

Pyzis

Character Info

While sitting in the cool grass, reveling in the smell of fresh earth, water and the heady scent of blooms, Pyzis was approached by what must be a servant of the temple. She was offered food and drink which she took gratefully. Silently she ate the fruit that was offered and contemplated what it would be like to see the Goddess of Fire. She had never before attempted to approach a Deity, she had never even considered relying on one for anything. In fact, Pyzis had never really known anyone who worshiped a Deity so this was a very new experience. What she then heard and saw came as a shock to her. A voice that sounded more amused than anything rang out seemingly from nearby, but when she looked Pyzis couldn't see anyone. 

It was pretty silly to assume that a Goddess that she knew had assisted her in a time of great need would be angry at her for not believing in her power sooner. She watched as a vision of a woman in a black dress with matching raven hair glide down the pathway into the garden. The woman sat gracefully on a stone and satin settee and beckoned for Pyzis to join her. Hesitantly she left her contact to the earth and sat next to whom she could only assume was her Goddess Rhylana. Sheepishly she looked into her eyes and noticed that they were is matched. The oddity made her feel at ease, not that it made Rhylana mortal, just slightly imperfect, even if the colors just made her more stunning. 

"I came here to thank you Rhylana, I spent years in captivity and I felt your strength when I knew mine was failing. You were the only one I was able to talk to for forty years and the only thing that kept me sane during my captivity. I know that without you to hear my pleas there would be nothing left of me." Pyzis trailed off, she had been trying to deny the severity of her captivity. She had been trying to deny the fringes of insanity that had crept up on her every night. Now that she was finally admitting it out loud, she knew just how much she owed to this Goddes of fire. 

"I owe you my mind, I owe you much even if I denied the assistance of any Deity for many years. If there is a way I could repay you please let me know. If you are the Goddess of fire then do you know more about my race? I've never met another and know little as I've only lived through 54 years in total. Most of that was spent in an alchemists cellar, so if there is anything that you could tell me I would be grateful." Pyzis asked. She hadn't intended on questioning the Goddess but the thought had occurred that if she reigned over fire then that would include us fire birds. Maybe she would come to know more than she had hoped form this visit.

Nymeria

Character Info
The mismatch of Rhylana’s eyes had long been the bane of her existence. She had longed to have blue eyes like those of the rest of her blood but instead she had passed her eyes down to those she had brought into this world. It made her sigh in frustration most times she cast or removed her glamour. Sitting here, now, she knew the girl had noticed, and appreciated, her eyes. The outpouring of gratitude making her stifle a laugh. “Young one,” In all honesty, this Phoenix was more than likely older than her, though she presented younger at this moment. “I have provided you merely the strength, my power to compliment your own. There is little that I truly did, your power needed another piece of kindling, and I gave it.” There was little more to fire once it was ignited, fuelling it and fostering a growing flame. She enjoyed seeing the young Phoenix so enthralled.

She pushed her power out, making the braziers grow in ferocity, proving a point. Rhylana looked to the girl, raising one ebony eyebrow as she thought. “I have known another such as you, yes. Most are trapped in their avian form, unable to take to legs as you are. Though I have known another, it is not my place to expose him so, but he has been known to come to me now and again.” That being as much as she was going to divulge, for this was a rare state for the legendary birds, and it was not her secret to expose.

“Tell me your name, for prayers rarely come with signatures, and the powers that be do not grant me such exposure to the raw being of a person. While I know you, your power, your life, I do not know much on the personal note.” It was a giving sweet tone as Rhylana let her fingers weave in front of her, summoning up a tea service and sweets. She had been raised to be a gracious hostess, and even as a deity, she proved to be just that. She gestured to the sweets as she thought for a time, silent, pursing her full lips as she sought the words for what she intended to ask.

“I desire to know something, for surely you should know. You have escaped, you find yourself free, in my court, what do you intend to do with your life?” It was an honest question, the bird had come to her, and as such a rare being she had no doubt that slavery was the most likely of her possible futures, so she wanted to know what this outreach of her power would be up to for the following life times. She felt the power between them, felt the connection to her sacred flame, and knew that the passion of a thousand fires brewed within the belly of this young beast. The only question now would be:

What would she do with it.

Pyzis

Character Info
  Pyzis realized in her haste to thank the goddess that she hadn't even mentioned her name. Rhylana was much gentler than she had expected. That was until the flames in braziers all around the garden grew to accentuate the point she had made. Pyzis had had the spark to stay alive, she had had the will to live for all those years when there had been no reason to live. Her Goddess had simply fueled the fire when it had gotten a little low. For Pyzis though, it had still meant the difference in her sanity. 

As far as she could remember Pyzis had never met another of her kind, she simply existed. Now that she was free there she had no place to go, nowhere to be and no one to obey. As Rhylana had asked, what would she do with her new found life. Pyzis stared up at the stars above, seeing the little globes of fire lighting the darkness and she knew. She had spent her entire life healing one man, her gift to the world where her tears. She wanted to heal those who wouldn't otherwise have the chance at life. Though being in human form would prevent most of that she could still dedicate her life to the arts of healing. Perhaps she could find someone to teach her how to use herbs or to mend broken bones. Then Pyzis realized she was in the presence of a Goddess and here she was wrapped in her own thoughts, not even responding to a direct question.

With a blush she spoke, "I am Pyzis and I now know what it is I intend to do with my life. I know that I cannot turn back into my natural form for now, but I can use my time to learn the other arts of healing. I want to save people." Pyzis looked her Goddess in the eyes, those beautiful mismatched eyes that gave her face the perfect depth. "I have never used my tears of my own free will, I was tortured until they poured and the Alchemist stole them from me. I don't want to waste the talent that I have, but I don't know where to start. Humans are a mystery to me. The only ones I've known have been cruel. I'm not sure how to get along with any of them." Pyzis stared down at her hands, aware that the Goddess had offered her tea, but not sure if she could stomach it at the moment. 

She knew that there were mages in the world and she also knew that she could at least wield fire magic. Was there some sort of bridge between that? Could she also wield healing magic or was she to devote her time to learning about plants. Either would work, Pyzis just wanted to know if she should go to the mages college or somewhere else to learn a new trade. Py took a deep breath, she was doing what she always did when she was nervous. She got way too ahead of herself and started to plan things that didn't apply to the moment. 

"I apologize, I admit that I am nervous being here and once I get an idea in my head I always am slightly….overeager to get it into motion. Thank you for your hospitality and for the strength you lent me during my time of need. I now know I do have a place to worship and recover, I need that sorely now. Your temple is beautiful and I would like to explore more of it. I find myself feeling confined when I am indoors and I'm hoping the feeling fades with time. The air is so crisp, with scents of growing things and moisture, I fear that if I leave it I will wake up and it will be gone again." Sadness crept into her voice as she reminisced about the dark cellar. It wasn't that she hated the man she had called Master, more pitied him. She knew that in the same dire situation and not knowing that she was more than just a bird she may have done the same thing. People who are pushed with illnesses like his had to resort to desperate measures. 

Nymeria

Character Info
Rhylana felt this bird, knew her power and what she was truly. She was a majestic creature, full of power and heart and while she was ‘good’ in its simplest definition, Rhylana could see a use for her. Could see that the girl was damaged and needed to heal a great deal before she would be her happiest self, whole once again. “Stay here, enjoy my palace and temple, there are areas that are strictly forbidden, and I would have you respect that. This is not only a place of worship, but it is my home.” Rhylana stood, taking the youth’s hand and walking with her, gently, knowing that she was a fragile thing. And oh so tempted to prove to her the strength of the goddess in its perpetuity. She looked to the girl, thinking, debating on how to take this.

“I have one such as yourself here, should they choose to reveal themselves, they may. But it is not my secret to give, and I would not push them to reveal themselves.” She would not out Damon, she would refuse that, she wanted him to make himself known in his own time, hell he hadn’t even told her- she’d known.

The woman gestured to the garden in it’s entirety, “Within these walls, I have wards and strong magics that protect those that reside within, and will mercilessly slaughter those that dare harm me or mine.” She turned not the spot and looked to the Phoenix, arms crossed under her bosom. “You have a good heart, and I will have you know that that works in your favour. But I have my life here, all that is left of it, and should you transgress upon that I will reign down my full wrath upon you.” It was a needless threat, but it was something she said to each new member of her court.

She guided her down the slate paths, flowering plants and climbing vines carefully cultivated to grow just so. “You are welcome to stay here in whichever form you most desire, in my garden or out. There is a pavilion for cover should it be needed, and you are welcome within the areas of the temple as well. My private wing is warded, and my garden beyond that is exclusively private.” Her voice was sweet though ever did power lurk just beyond her eyes. “Tell me your dreams, I will attempt to cultivate them, as I have done in my gardens.”

She knew the girls’ dreams but giving it voice would help sort the thoughts out,w which the girls’ mind was a mess. A sweet mess, much like a child’s, and she would work with her to build her up. “You wish to heal, I know this, to build upon your natural skill…but you need to heal yourself prior to healing others.” She purred gently, power etching its way along her arm and crackling upon the Phoenix’s flesh.

Pyzis

Character Info

Pyzis realized that the Goddess was right, she was broken. A shadow of darkness rimmed her thoughts at all times, threatening to invade. It was the maddness that she had held at bay while in captivity. The only way she knew to heal such an ailgment was time and company. Already her fear for indoors was irrational and she knew it. That would be the first thing she would conqure, for if she wanted to heal the world when most injured people were kept indoors she would need to overcome the tightening of her chest every time she set foot inside. She ran her hand absently along the marble bench as she thought. 

"I understand, I have no ill will towards you nor any of your followers. I will keep peace here and do what I can to heal my mind before I can go about healing others. Thank you again for helping me realize that there is healing I need to do myself. I have pushed down the maddness, but never brought light to it. In confining it I have only fueld the fire instead of extinguishing it." she told the Goddess. 

Pyzis stood as Rhylana did, following her down the paths of the garden. The growing things made her smile, the smell of dirt, water, burning things and life reminded her that she was free. She had chosen to come to this temple and she was offered a place to heal and recover from the trauma she had been through. With every passing moment she knew that she had come to the right place. The Goddess placed a hang on her arm and Pyzis jumped. She hadn't felt another persons touch for so many years that it startled her. The power that was sent took the breath out of her lungs. She began to tremble uncontrolably and suddenly the ground reared up at her. Pyzis sat down in a heap and curled her arms around her it wasn't that the shock hurt her, it was the touch. 

For forty years the only touch she had was the alchemist beating Phoenix tears form her body, the casual touch of the Goddess sent her reeling. She hadn't realized how deeply the pain ran, she hadn't known that she would have such an aversion to touch. Pyzis reminded herself where she was, she took a deep breath and felt the cool slate beneath her. She closed her eyes and listened to the gurgling of the fountain and knew that she was in a safe place. 

Nymeria

Character Info
Phoenixes were an odd breed, so emotional and connected tot he primal side of life. Too often they were abused, tortured, and much like this young one- broken. This poor girl was one of the very few that could actually become human, and it made her heart break to see her fall to the earth in such a fashion. To see such pain and trauma done to the magical beast, to see such hurt. She knelt by the young woman, seeing her in such pain from a simple touch, it shocked her. Then again, hadn’t Rhylana acted the same way when she returned from the shadows? “Pyzis, I am sorry, I did not think.” It was true, she hadn’t, and now she felt guilt. “You are bone thin, please, request of anything that you desire. It shall be brought to you. Take the form that you desire, and we shall accommodate, choose any place you desire to stay, and you shall be protected.”

It was that simple, like Damon, this creature was part of herself, part of her fire and flame and had lived through hell. This creature needed love, and understanding, and power…Rhylana let her power link to this poor child of the flame. Link to her and fill her with some of her strength to get to a safe place, a place where she could cry and heal and grow as she needed to. She sent out a call to her other bird of flames, her guard and captain. Her confidant.Damon, Come to me in the formal garden. “Pyzis,” it was the tone she used with her son, the careful mindful tone that said she was scared to upset the girl further.

“Please, tell me of anything you need. You are welcome to stay as long as you desire, or not at all. I would readily accept your desire to be a healer, and can assist you in your tutelage.” She waited for Damon, knowing he must have had blushes with such experiences before, though part of her wondered if she was blood kin to her captain. She let the silence sweep over them then, raising the fires in the braziers around the garden to grant the poor healing phoenix more heat. She knew that there was so much to heal, and that this good hearted creature would be a wonderful addition to her followers, God’s knew there’d be need of a healer when word got out the Knight family had come.

Pyzis

Character Info

Pyzis sat on the cold stone with her arms wrapped around her knees. Inside she could feel her stomach clenching and what felt like a fist around her heart. Her breath came in short gasps, and her ears rang until she felt the warmth of the nearby braziers cut through her panic. The heat curled around her, seeping deep into her bones and reigniting the fire that blazed deep within her chest. With a gasp Pyzis felt the power of her Goddess inside of her, she felt it knock gently awaiting entrance before she opened to door to let it in. Strength and healing flowed over her limbs, and she rose to her feet at last. 

"Thank you," she whispered breathlessly. It had been a long time since she had been held up by her Goddess, but here she was in her presence with Rhylana herself apologizing to her. With a quick shake of her head, she looked around to see another stone bench close by. Gratefully she sank on the cold surface but marveled at the warmth that emanated from brazier near her. Pyzis took stock of herself and realized that the Goddess was again right. She was thin, bone deep tired and had no other place to live. If she stayed her the Goddess would help her and for now that was what she knew she needed.

"Thank you for your hospitality, I would like to stay here if it would please you. I also would love to accept your offer to be a healer here. I don't know where to start as I'd like to stay human for a little while now. I think if I changed I would have another panic attack." She told the goddess, finally feeling a little better. Pyzis knew that as soon as the Goddess left she would fall to pieces but for now she could hold it together. 

Pyzis closed her eyes and searched for the flame inside her that sustained her life force. It was a smoldering pile of coals, not a barely contained open fire. With a gasp she realized that there would be no changing for her, she couldn't transform into a Phoenix if she tried. Panic began to rise in her throat. Pyzis frantically looked for the Goddess and caught her eye, stopping the attack in its tracks. 

"Goddess, I can't change, I can't turn back into a Phoenix if I tried," she croaked. While she wasn't to the point of fainting she was terrified at what this meant. Pyzis could no longer heal, she could no longer fly or maybe even be reborn. What good would she be to a Goddess as a healer in her court if she couldn't even use her powers to heal?No, Rhylana had said that she would help to heal if that is what she wanted so even if that meant she had to learn in a human way Pyzis would do it. She owed it to her Patron to help in any ways he could. For now though she would rest and eat until she could stand the touch of another human again. There was no point in learning to heal if she couldn't even touch her patients.

With a deep breath Pyzis pulled herself together, maybe it was better this way. At least she didn't have to be terrified of being trapped in her bird form. Maybe Rhylana knew a way to help Pyzis or she knew someone who could help her find her way back into her other self. She would give it time and stay as long as she needed to be whole again.

Damon Naur

Character Info
Name: Damon Naur
Alignment: TN
Class: Ranger
Silver: 2120
“How is there this much paperwork for just one shift?”  The Captain thumped his head on his desk, as the stacks on either side of him seemed to get no lower.  It felt as if hours had passed while attempting to reduce the workload.  In the past, Damon had to deal with no paperwork since he was just a mercenary.  Hiring out your bow was much easier than staying in one place and maintaining it.  Responsibilities were important, but highly annoying.  “Next time, when a bird flies into the private quarters…let’s let one of the maids handle it.”  Blue eyes lifted towards one of the newer recruits that had chased a bird around the temple and made a mess.  He could see the embarrassment and shame for the way he handled the situation.  “Go back to your station.  You will take an additional shift to make up for it.  Leave.”

With a quick salute, the recruit was out of the office.  Damon leaned back in his chair and rubbed his stubble face.  A pull at his soul made him quickly grasp at his chest.  Something was different about the temple and someone was there that had an impact on the Flame.  The phoenix quickly ran his hand through his hair, which was not difficult since it was cropped short.  ‘Damon, come to me in the formal garden.’  In an instant, he was on his feet in regards to the summons.  His mistress was calling him.

The Captain quickly made his way to the formal garden with his full gear: strong green leather armor from head to toe, a full quiver across his back with his bow clutched in leather-gloved hands.  It was not often that Rhylana summoned Damon with their mental connection, and it had him concerned since it was their immediate link. 

It was not long until he was in the garden, and there was a woman there with his goddess.  Brows furrowed in confusion.  Who was this woman?  As he neared, there was the pulling feeling again that seemed to be coming from the new woman.  “My lady.  I have come as you have requested.”  Crystalline eyes glanced over at the brunette; he could see the anxiety written all over her.  Bow readjusted in his gripped right hand.  The confusion was really getting to him since the feeling he had was similar to the one from Rhylana.  “What can I do for you?  Is everything alright?”