Archive Home > Archives > 2015 Archives > Haunted Caravan > Lost (p)
Rowan

Character Info
Name: Rowan
Alignment: CG
Race: Human
Class: Fighter
Silver: 643

Rowan eyes the charms hanging along the branches of twisted dark trees, the Koschei forest was not a friendly one. Scrolls written in a language she didn't know hung along the border of the forest. They had been put there to protect those who lived outside the forest from the evil within and here was Rowan prepared to enter into it. Lyra had given her a tip, there had been an increased amount of missing people and even a few dark creatures that had wandered out of the forest of late. This couldn't keep happeneing so Roawn had traveled here to help the locals with their problem. 

Rowan placed her hand on her companion, a huge green dragon who was never out of her presence. Mo'o steadied her as she took a deep breath and walked across the invisible barrier into the woods. Instantly it was dark, she had known about the eternal night that had cursed this land so she had prepared with a torch. She spent a moment with her flint and steel to light the wooden torch so she and Mo'o could see where it was they were headed. All around dark trees full of faces and pieces of armor embeded within surrounded her. The locals said that they had once been men who were cursed into trees after they destroyed the world tree here. 

She raised the torch over her head and kept one hand on Mo'o's scales for comfort. A chill ran up her spine as one of the trees she passed had a noose hanging from it, swaying in some breeze that she couldn't feel. Legend had it the wives of many of the men had killed themselves here in grief. Rowan turned and made her way around the tree with the rope. So far there was nothing of interest other than the spooky feeling that wouldn't relent, but that could just be the faces staring at her from the bark of the trees. 

Suddenly she heard a scream, and whipped around trying to find the origin of it. Beside her Mo'o tensed and growled. It wasn't a good sign the the dragon was perturbed by the noise. Rowan headed in the direction of the scream and was a stone wall that seemed to run endlessly in either direction. Before her was an archway, the only way through that she could see. The scream had come from somewhere behind this wall, but she was hesitant to venture into something unknown. She had not heard of any sort of structure within the forest, only the trees and the curse and creatures that draw themselves to such things. 

Another scream sounded and Rowan could stand it no longer, if there was someone in there that needed her help there was no way she could deny them assistance. With a deep breath and her torch clutched tightly in hand Rowan took a step through the archway and saw walls to either side of her. It was a corridor that ended with a hall to her left and to her right. She and Mo'o took the hall to the left and were rewarded with more walls and no rooms. After a few more turns Rowan realized just what it was she was in, it was a maze.

Porthyrius

Character Info
Name: Adraejen "Drae" Porthyrius
Alignment: CN
Race: Half Elf Were Bear
Class: Blade Pact Warlock of the Fiend
Silver: 49802
"'Go to Koschei' they said. 'Use your demonic gifts to help find out what is happening to the people there' they said," Drae muttered as he splurtched through the mud of the swamps. He looked around at the twisted trees that seemed to reach out for anyone and everyone as they passed, wishing to drag the unwary travelers to bark and moss wrapped hell as they had been. His boot sunk into the boggy ground and the half-elf swore as he wrenched it free. 

"Gods, I hate this place. Never was an isle more feverishly and passionately cursed. Poor bastards. This is what you get when you don't respect and mess with powers that you can't understand or control," Drae mocked as he passed the nooses that hung from the twisted branches above. He looked around and wrinkled his nose in disgust. 

"Never mess with the Gods, people. They can reduce you to ash or rubble…" he muttered. "Or turn you into trees."

A scream ripped out from the mist, making the warlock jump slightly. Grateful no one had seen him react so, Drae lifted his hand and blue green flames erupted from his fist. This place was known for all sorts of horrors to be in these woods. Banshees, lycans of all sorts, and other monstrosities, each something that Drae was not keen on coming face to face with, especially not on his own. He could be a force to be reckoned with when he wanted to be, but frankly, unless there was considerable pay, or monetary gain of some sort, he tended to be very conservative about his magic use. 

However, there were times when it definitely was more than a good idea to show off ones abilities. It had a tendency to keep the scary things at bay, and this was most certainly a place filled with scary things. 

Drae approached the barrier of the woods, and leaned slightly on his staff. Did he really want to do this? No not exactly, he wasn't the altruistic type. Another scream, ripped through the area, and Drae growled softly and growled something in abyssal before he stepped into the forest. 

He stood still for a moment to let his eyes adjust to the darkness that filled the area. They weren't kidding about the ever present darkness, and he thanked the powers that were that had let him retain at least the eyesight of his mother's kin. He did, however, keep his fist lit as he walked deeper into the gloom. 

The stone wall appeared almost out of nowhere, and Drae raised an eyebrow. No one had said anything about a wall. He followed it a ways to the east before he found an archway that opened the wall for entrance. 

"Has Angela been having fun or something?" he wondered as he placed his hand on the stone surface. He quickly deemed it not to be her work, for it was devoid of the almost comforting energy that seemed to flow from her magic. He reminded himself that it was incredibly unlikely that Angela would have any sort of magical ability here in Koschei, since this was the place where the World Tree for this place had fallen, hence the twisted and gruesome scene that met all when they came to the isle. 

The warlock sighed and stepped through the archway. He was in a corridor now, something he again found odd. He then though of the hedge mazes that sometimes decorated private gardens in Wyllmochvar and his eyes narrowed. He pulled a dagger from his belt and scratched an arcane symbol into the stone before he proceeded to his left and began walking. Every fifty or so feet, he paused to carve his mark into the stones. He didn't want to risk getting lost. 

Since walking into the maze (for after several twists and turns and once or twice coming out someplace where he was pretty certain he had already been he was sure that was exactly what this was) Drae had not heard a single indication of life. It wasn't exactly reassuring, and a fog had began to gather along the passages, making it increasingly difficult to see what could be ahead of him. Once or twice he had almost walked into a wall. 

He turned down along a side path and was in the process of marking the wall again, when he saw a faint glow up ahead of him. From where he was, it was merely a soft yellow light, barely more than a pinprick. Squinting, he lifted his blue-green flame ensconced hand to try and see better before he cautiously moved toward the light. After a moment, he realized it was moving towards him, and he paused and waited to see what would come out of the fog.

Rowan

Character Info

Rowan kept a comforting hand on Mo'o's scales, it had been a while since they had heard any more of the screaming that had lured them into this cursed maze. Each turn had looked the same, stone walls, endless stone walls. She was furious with herself that she hadn't figured it out sooner, though with Mo'o around she was pretty sure she could fly out if things got too bad. So far it was simply boring. The eerie silence pressed down on her and she found herself speaking to her companion more than was necessary. 

"Well we sure got ourselves into a right mess. That's what happens when you want to be gallant I guess," she said as the dragon chuffed at her. He didn't enjoy the smaller passages, but would not leave her side. Rowan began to notice her breath coming in clouds, she rubbed her arms and wished she had brought a cloak. Marshy territories weren't known for being cold. Maybe it was simply her fear that was making her teeth chatter. Rowan knew there was a way to nagivate mazes but by the time she had realized what it was she was in it had been too late. Now she had to hope that it wasn't enchanted to prevent her sending Mo'o to scout ahead or her form flying out of it on his back.

"Do you think there is someone here being tortured? Lyra shouldn't have sent us here if she hadn't been willing to join us." she complained to Mo'o. Rowan was pretty sure she had gone this way before, but had no way to be sure. She stopped, shook out her tense shoulders and sighed. Being frightened wasn't something she was accustomed to and it made her angry more than anything. She commanded a fully grown dragon at the age of 17, why should she fear an empty maze full of stone. With her chin set Rowan pressed forward, holding the torch in one hand and using her other to run it along the cold wall. Fog began to father and she almost tripped over the uneven floor, as it grew thicker she found herself in blocked hallways more and more often. 

Mo'o stopped in his tracks and growled, Rowan looked at the Dragon with wide green eyes. She belatedly pulled out her broadsword, though she had trained many times with the master of arms, rowan had yet to actually use her weapon against a real threat. Having a small house sized dragon to accompany you, prevented most quarrels before they even begun. The hall before her turned only one direction so if there was anything ahead there was no way to avoid it. Taking a deep breath and steadying herself on Mo'o's scales she approached the corner with caution. With sword in hand she rounded the corner to see a man before her. Through the fog all she could tell was that he had dark hair, she raised her blade and felt more than saw Mo'o come to her side. 

"Who are you? I mean no harm to anyone but I do have a dragon!" Rowan tried to sound fienrce, but hervoice cracked and gave way to the fear that ate at her stomach. If this man meant harm then at the very least she may have time to fly away. Hopefully he was someone else who was stuck in this cursed maze and could help her figure out where the hell she was.

Porthyrius

Character Info
He heard the growl first before he saw the shapes beginning to emerge through the fog. The bigger one really made him nervous, though the smaller one, obviously a humanoid of some sort, was clearly holding a blade. She seemed more concerned however, about who he was for it was she who called out first. Drae snorted at her words. She was clearly scared, though trying to sound fierce. He didn't have to see her clearly to be able to tell that the girl was clearly barely more than a child. 

"Easy on there, Little Miss," he said, holding up his hands as she and the green winged reptile came into full view. "I have no quarrel with you, or your fire-breathing beastie," he said, trying to reassure her, though mostly the comment was directed at the over-sized lizard. As she became more visible, Drae could see that his initial impressions were right. She was human, and definitely barely more than a child. He would have guessed no more than half his own age. The massive blade she carried she actually held like she knew what to do with it, but the dragon was the far more impressive thing. He seemed to be sticking to the girl's side, almost protectively. It was a rare to see someone so young traveling with such a companion. 

"I'd say you were a long way from home, little girl," Drae said as he lowered his hand, and the flames that were held there were extinguished.

Rowan

Character Info

Rowan pressed forward and listened to what the man had to say. It seemed as if he wasn't some evil spirit come to harm her and if he did anything too bad Mo'o would eat him. Slowly she lowered her weapon and sheathed it, feeling safe now that there was another person inside this God forsaken maze. She tilted her head to the side and approached the man slowly. Though she knew she was no intimidating sight she knew that Mo'o was, so it was best to use caution. 

"I apologize, I admit I am lost and firghtened. The dragon is Mo'o and he will behave so long as you do." she said as she moved closer to the man. He had black hair and strange grey eyes and was older than she ahd expected him to be. Rowan knew she was new to the game and young, but it bothered her to be called "Little miss" and "Little girl. Granted this man was twice her age, but she was not a little girl.

"Yes I am far from home but I was here investigating the increased danger to the people ourside this forest when I heard screams. I couldn't leave the poor soul with whatever was happening so I followed into the maze and now I'm here." she said as she punched the stone wall in frustration. There was a faint roar that sounded from deeper within the maze. Thus far she hadn't encountered anything and her nerves were frayed beyond belief. If she could save who ever it was that was screaming at least she would feel as if she accomplished something.

"My next move was to send Mo'o up to scout ahead, but I didn't want to be left alone. Do you think that is a good idea?" she asked the stranger. "Oh, I'm Rowan by the way." she said as she reached out a gauntleted hand to him. It was rude not to introduce yourself, even if they were in a nodd situation. Maybe if she told him her name he would at least stop calling her little.

Porthyrius

Character Info
"The screams were meant to lure people into this maze," Drae said flatly as he leaned up against the wall. "To lure in the unsuspecting heroes and those who wish to help. The screams, more than likely, belonged to the banshees, or to some other twisted creature that lurks about this ungodly place," the warlock said as he flicked grime from his cloak. He chuckled loudly at her display of frustration which was to merely strike at the wall he leaned upon.

"There is no point in losing your temper, Little One. That wall has done nothing to you, and it won't be daunted by your fists," he said with a laugh. His chuckled was silenced by a roar in the distance, and he lifted his staff out of habit and looked in the direction the roar had come from. 

"Now that's more like it," he said to himself, his voice low. He looked over at the girl who was clearly at her wits' end. He looked the dragon over and and then looked to the sky. There wasn't much to see, at least not for him, but he knew that dragon's had much better vision than half elves did. 

"I suppose that could work. Your friend would definitely be able to find any troubled individuals much faster than we will on foot. Especially in this fog. That, and we can't guarantee that these passages will remain large enough for him to continue traveling through with you," Drae told her. He looked back at her as she introduced herself to him and extended her gauntlet clad hand. She was a little bit late on the introductions, but Drae didn't bother calling her out on her decorum. 

"Adraejen," he said simply, rather ignoring her hand as he turned and walked past her, back in the direction she had come from and paused long enough to pull out his dagger again and carved another mark into the stone wall. 

"How much of this direction did you cover?" he asked, pointing into the mist.

Rowan

Character Info

Rowan did not take the news of the banshee well, she had fallen into the trap just as the maze intended, but she would not continue to be so. Now that Adraejen was here at least he seemed to know where he was going. He hadn't rushed blindly and had marked a path back. Well, at least Rowan had a Dragon with her, so she wasn't entirely useless. She snorted as he ignored her outstretched hand and brushed past her, though she knew she was late on introducing herself at least she had had the courtesy to do so at all in this God-forsaken place.

Rowan smiled at Adrajen's back and nodded to Mo'o who growled fiercely as the man walked past him. With an innocent expression, she said, "Mo'o doesn't like strangers getting this close to him, I'd keep your hands out of his reach, he's bitten a few of them off in his time." 

She turned around and followed the stranger since he was at least keeping track where they had been. When he asked her how far she had gone, she shrugged. She had no idea where she had entered nor which direction she headed now. 

"I honestly have no idea, but Mo'o can scout ahead and keep watch on us from above. I can communicate with him and tell you which way the beasts are if you trust me," she said as she looked to Mo'o and petted his dark green scales. Rowan wrapped her arms around his neck for a moment and whispered into his ear the dragon, giving him her instructions before backing up and watching as he leapt up onto the top of the stone wall before once again jumping into the air and taking flight. 

She put a hand on Adraejen's shoulder then looked down at her left wrist. Upon it was a bracelet and as she focused touched it with her right hand, she closed her eyes. In her mind she could see the maze from above, her eyes opened and turned the same yellow as Mo'o's. Below her was the maze stretching out in all directions with her and Adraejen somewhere in the southeastern part. Not far ahead was some type of bear that she didn't recognise. 

"Adraejen, if you guide me I can tell us where to go by looking through Mo'o's eyes," she said as she moved her right hand from her wrist to the older man's shoulder. See if he thought she was a useless little girl after she helped them find their way out of here directly.

"Not far ahead there is some large creature that resembles a bear, I think that was what roared earlier," she explained as she could only see what Mo'o saw. He focused in on a rat and Rowan scowled up at him. Rowan was blind to what was before her and it was always very disorienting trying to move around when you only saw yourself from above. 

Porthyrius

Character Info
Drae chuckled as he turned and looked at the green dragon as Rowan warned him not to get too close. 
"Unless Mo'o decides to take off, we are going to be in close quarters. You are welcome to try and take my hand, but be cautious as to what may be in that had when you decide to take it off," the warlock chuckled in draconic, the comment aimed more at the dragon than Rowan. 

He looked at her with a raised eyebrow when she said she had no idea where exactly she had come from in the maze, nor how far she had gone. "Clearly you are new to the whole hero and rescuing business," he commented as he looked around. He looked up at the fogged sky and sighed. "Well, if you can do that, it might not be a bad idea. Being able to see what's ahead of us might actually prove useful," Drae said, actually a bit surprised that the girl had that kind of ability. She might prove not to be a total loss after all. He watched as she moved over to the green scaled winged reptile and embraced it. He barely could make out the words she whispered into its ear before she was backing up to give the dragon room to take flight. 

Drae made a face as she put a hand on his shoulder and was about to shake out of her grasp as she was concentrating, but stopped when her eyes opened and he saw that they were slitted and yellow like the dragon's had been. His eyes narrowed as she asked him to guide her. Of course there had to be a catch. Drae might have been impressed with this little ability, that was until now. 

"Of course you can't guide yourself," he muttered beneath his breath and took her by the hand and began walking down the stone corridor. He paused at the mention of a bear-like creature. He knew of the different creatures of horror that lurked in the Koschei swamps and frankly, he had no intentions to meet any of them. He tried to think of something that could have been a bear. The creature that came to mind definitely ranked high on the 'do not mess with' list. 

"Damn… pray tell, can that flying lizard of yours direct us which path to take to so that we don't have to go toe to toe with a possibly disease-carrying devil mammal?" Drae asked as he pulled Rowan along behind him. 

Rowan

Character Info

Rowan scowled at the back of Adraejen's head as she was walking mostly behind him. His comments made her bristle, but there was no point in being rude back to him. If he thought she was useless, she would simply prove him wrong. Actions had always been her preferred method of communication, words were great, but her way was more impressive. She continued to look down on herself from Mo'o's eyes and took her hand off of Adraejen's shoulder. If he were going to complain about it, she would stand and memorize where they were to go instead of take the faster route and let him lead while she said where to go. She studied the stone walls from above and found the best way to go while avoiding the beast ahead. Unfortunately, it seemed that the way to the center of the maze, which then led to the way out, was blocked by multiple creatures.

"Unfortunately if we want to go out we will encounter at least something. I can't tell from the height what they are, but I'm sure given this cursed land it isn't pleasant. I will warn you when we are getting closer and let's hope your hand does more than glow." she bit while she pressed past the man. Her eyes returned to their original green, and she left one hand on her sword, the hilt cleared from the sheath enough for a quick draw.

Without saying anything to Adraejen, she worked her way quickly through the turns that took them to the center of the maze. Every so often she would stop and reorient herself through Mo'o's eyes, but she kept it brief. When she knew, there was no other way around some type of beast, Rowan held out a hand to will Adraejen to halt. She looked up and watched the faint glint of green as her Dragon flew overhead. He was circling lower because he knew they were close to a confrontation. This was the first time that Rowan's intentions in a fight would be deadly. While she had the reflexes and practice ingrained into her muscle memory, it wasn't the same as fighting in training. Fear clenched at her gut as she mentally prepared herself, with a deep breath she cleared her mind leaving no room for any negative thoughts. She was lucky to have the time to prepare for battle, instead of it being sprung upon her. Rowan turned back to Adraejen looking over the older man, with her steady green gaze, she wouldn't let him intimidate her either.

"We are within range of some beast ahead if we go, two lefts and a right fork we will face it. Get ready whatever you need to, but the hall won't be big enough for Mo'o to help," she informed him. Rowan drew her sword and stood aside, allowing Adraejen to take the lead. If he was going to treat her like a child, he might as well go first and encounter what was ahead. She had given him enough information and if all else failed she could always try to scale the wall and ride Mo'o out of here.